Facelift Advice pls, Saloon 1.4 Sport with many options or S-Line with essential options

Flugel Hound

Reaction score
Its been a while, too busy enjoying the Sportback 1.6TDi.
3 years are now up, our director has gave me the nod that Amalfi White is up for replacement so get looking.

Sitting in showroom cars then back into mine got me thinking I want a change of surroundings.
Checked out the Merc C Class, love the looks from the outside but the boots impractical for me. Then the CLA Coupe, (lowest trim level) interior finish and body gaps left me with a cheapened feeling for the brand.
BMW 1 Series, again boot too small. 3 Series saloon is nice although have to spec split folding rear seat and BIK is a little higher.
The BMW 3 Series SE 1.5 3 cylinder is niggling me, need to test drive.

Then back to Audi, A3 ticks so many boxes, im now fancying the Saloon 1.4COD, more power and cheaper tax, with free fuel what's not to like?

So do I go:
A3 Saloon 1.4 Sport, option it up OR A3 Saloon 1.4 S-Line with fewer options.
Im in a right quandary as there's ride/cosmetic pros and cons to both.

If I went Sport trim I would opt in much the same a my current Sportback (see text at the bottom of my posts), I would also choose metallic white paint and the lowered ride height. But the standard wheels of the Facelift models are just plain ugly IMHO (loved the old ones).

If I went S-Line i get nice wheels but worried the ride will be too firm with increased road noise?. Other perceived negatives are black headlining.
I would not be able to option full leather, mono per, park assist or metallic paint either.

Configured this way the S-Line is only £200 more on the road, im guessing the S-Line resale value will be slightly higher at the end of three years.

Im wondering if im missing a big point that would sway me either way.

Oh and whats the current lead times like,

Seem to be two obvious answers:

- Upgrade the wheels on the Sport.
- De-select sports suspension on the S-line

That sorts out your firm S-line and ugly Sport wheels problems so you're back to going with the part leather interior but putting up with black headlining (it's quite nice actually) or not.

Reactions: richinsoton, Flugel Hound and pburv
I would go s-line with standard (not s-line) suspension.

Part leather seats are really good on the s-line, as good as full leather IMHO and black headlining was also great when I had them on my 2.0TDI

Reactions: Scottyg, Flugel Hound and pburv
I would go for the sline because it really does work on the saloon, however I would not deselect the sport suspension at all as it raises the ride height by 15mm and makes for empty looking wheel arches. The sports ride isn't hard or too firm anyway.

Reactions: Flugel Hound and SRT
For me the s line suspension is fine and nothing like the hard harsh ride I was fearful of after I ordered. As for full leather? I was not swayed and stuck with the standard s line part leather and no mono. Black headlining is great but I have a pano:chuncky:

Reactions: Flugel Hound
Appreciate the advice guys.
Nice to learn the part leather is fine. No mono. If going S-Line I want the lowered look. My current SB suspension is midway on Sport Height. Corners fairly flat. But I will need to test drive fully lowered S-Line to get a feel for the ride and road noise from those tyres. I test drove an SB with 18" and mentioned how quiet the petrol was over my current Diesel so quiet I could hear the tyres, the salesmen said thats because there 18"!

Just been reading up on the confusion the configurator makes of the 3 suspension options for S-Line. Read the price list as it makes more sense, here is my take on it:
2UA Downgrade to Dynamic
2UC As it comes, 15mm lower than Dynamic, called Sports Suspension
2UG Lowered by another 10mm over 2UC, called S-Line suspension and cost £325.00

In which case I would stick with 2UC as it comes.

Last edited:
Good choice, that suspension was made for the saloon:

Reactions: Scottyg
S-line with standard suspension would be my choice. I'm with you on the Sport trim wheels. Love my current ones but not liking the new ones. All the more reason to go s-line as I will in 18 months or so.

Reactions: pburv
Been out test driving
1) New BMW 3 Series Saloon Sport 2.0 Diesel Manual. Wanted to feel that rear wheel drive experience. What a let down, Steering and handling was very Passat like. Indicators that messed with your brain, comfort refinements that just stuck into you, namely left hand centre armrest restrict arm movement and right seat bolster that catches the other elbow. Rear wheel drive gives no better drive but has its snow issues. Glad that's put to bed as a one to avoid.

Back into my Sportback Sport 1.6, Handling as it should be bliss.

2) Facelift SB S-line 1.4COD Sequence Cloth Seats. Definitely feel the ripples in the road more with those 18" wheels
Not keen on the Sequence cloth, very rough feeling. The difference in engine is very difficult to quantify got to rev it and a surge of power that peters out, bizarly feels less powerful than the 1.6tdi despite its on paper spec. Very smooth and quiet though. Guess im a diesel man.

Im now settled on sport trim, either a Diesel SportBack or 1.4COD Saloon. The 2.0 SB would be nice but would have to limit my optional extras to keep the price down. Will just have to live with those standard 17" wheels.

S-line with standard suspension would be my choice. I'm with you on the Sport trim wheels. Love my current ones but not liking the new ones. All the more reason to go s-line as I will in 18 months or so.

Those sport wheels are so easy to clean

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Must admit the Saloon S-Line pictured above looks real nice. Need to test drive that 1.4COD again.

Reactions: pburv and Scottyg
Question, how come the A4 Saloon 2.0D 150 Ultra is only 19% BIK but the A3 Saloon 2.0D 150 is 21% BIK?
I realise its more economical but how, and why haven't Audi made an Ultra rep friendly A3

Question, how come the A4 Saloon 2.0D 150 Ultra is only 19% BIK but the A3 Saloon 2.0D 150 is 21% BIK?
I realise its more economical but how, and why haven't Audi made an Ultra rep friendly A3
They have, the COD Ultra is 18% BIK.

But the petrol is going to cost an extra £3k over three years 60k miles. ie Sales rep mileage

Because you stated your fuel was for free in your first post:
"Then back to Audi, A3 ticks so many boxes, im now fancying the Saloon 1.4COD, more power and cheaper tax, with free fuel what's not to like?"
I would even doubt those figures anyway as my mpg experiences go...

Which its is. I initially thought the hit to the company would only be say 500 over the three year after factoring in the petrol engine being cheaper.
But when I actually worked it out using learned average mpg and my annual mileage I thought hmm an extra 3k on fuel is a bit much. The start of this thread I was very much in favour of the 1.4COD but on realising the figures the Diesels are back in favour.

What figures are you working too as mine average between 44 urban and 55mpg on mixed roads. Certainly don't go by the quoted figures as they are miles out...

Settled on a spec for the A3 Saloon 1.4 COD Sport, I got quotes from carwow, 9% being the best discount. Local showroom offered 5%, then a couple of days later dropped to 6.5%. If they had matched the carwow offer from down the country they would have got a sale. Now im looking at Lexus IS300H Advance with a massive discount, better mpg (on paper) and better BIK . Had a test drive and its a nice motor, completely different to the Sportback (which I love and will miss) but the scenery behind the wheel and ride is a welcome change.

Reactions: pburv
Settled on a spec for the A3 Saloon 1.4 COD Sport, I got quotes from carwow, 9% being the best discount. Local showroom offered 5%, then a couple of days later dropped to 6.5%. If they had matched the carwow offer from down the country they would have got a sale. Now im looking at Lexus IS300H Advance with a massive discount, better mpg (on paper) and better BIK . Had a test drive and its a nice motor, completely different to the Sportback (which I love and will miss) but the scenery behind the wheel and ride is a welcome change.
Nice looking motor...:yes:
They have come along way since the days of.........
Upload 2016 8 23 20 21 16
....lol

Reactions: Flugel Hound
Try Carfile 13 % on A3 saloon Established Quality Broker