Clay

Andy F

S3 quattro Too Darn Soulful ! Get you some a that!
Reaction score
Hi guys pros and cons on using clay bars. Need advice please Andy F

There's mild and aggressive .

Some mild won't get paint smooth particularly from heavily contaminated left for years...

You could mild clay and 3 stage compound mop and still have a rough surface .

Aggressive harsher clay will remove more and quicker but will leave fine scratches which need to be mopped out , but that's the general plan anyway .

2MegClay0021.jpg

I have got Mags clay kit not used it yet or any clay before , any good thanks for your advice Andy F

check and check again the vehicle is 100% clean. doesn't matter what make the clay is if you pick something up on it thats abrasive its that that would do the damage if anything.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thanks Chris iv got a bit of a twich on being a clay virgin lol Andy F

After always using clay bars, I used a clay mitt last time. Alot easier and still did the job.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Mitts easy then

I've just bought a mitt to do a mates car on Saturday but always used bars before.

Best advice is to break off a piece about size of a 50p. Flatten it out into a pancake like shape. Let the clay glide over the paint and don't put pressure on it. Make sure you use plenty lube to let it glide. I use concentrated soapy water, cheaper than Quick Detailer. Always fold the clay in on itself and use again. Ditch the piece you are using when you can no longer get a clean surface to put on the car.
As said, it's all in the preparation. Make sure the car is squeaky clean apart from what you are trying to get off. The Megs kit is decent stuff. Half a bar should do a car the size of an A3. Anything bigger will obviously use more. If the clay starts to stick and not slide you need more lube. Do one panel at a time and move the bar in straight lines.
Don't be frightened of it. There are plenty videos on YouTube particularly from Megs themselves.
Remember once you are done claying you'll need to correct any swirls or scratches before you then seal the paint with either a sealant or wax.

Keep asking in here if you need any other help. Good luck.

Thanks Scottyg will do AndyF

Scottyg I'v clayed and ultimate compond and 2 coats of mirror glaze 16 ,
it looks the MUTTS NUTS and it's away in garage Andy F
20160807 132934 1

2 more coats of mirror glaze 16 that will do for now
20160731 172340