Stage 1 Trackday Oil S3

H

HansfishS3

Hi all, about to have a track day in a few weeks, I know I'm supposed to be running 5W40 Oil...I change it every 5k tbh, what are peoples recommendations?

The following are both highly recommended:
  • Millers Nanodrive CFS 5W40 Oil
  • Motul 300V 5W40 Oil
I run the Millers oil myself, you can pick up 5L of it for under £60 on ebay.

If you want any more information on oil then Gazwould is the man to speak to on here.

I was looking at those but they are very expensive...seems like a waste especially as I'm changing the oil frequently . Won't a more standard oil do?

My knowledge is very limited on the matter I'm afraid, I know there's different grades/viscosity/units etc. to take into account which is where @Gazwould knows what he's on about.

I used to run Quantum Platinum 5W40 Oil before which appeared to do the job fine and you can pick up 5L of this for under £30 on ebay, however I'm sure the quality doesn't match that of the ester oils mentioned above.

I had my car mapped at R-tech and on their website it says the following:

"The most commonly recommended oil for the TFSI engine is 5w30. Under extreme conditions on a stock un-tuned engine the 5w30 oil can become to thin and smoke a little causing the engine to burn oil. The usage of oil will become exaggerated once tuned, under extreme conditions after a good hard run its very common for the tfsi to smoke on idle fro the tail pipes for a few seconds. To eliminate this issue we recommend only to use 5w40 oil Quantum Platinum or 5w40 Millers Nanodrive. If you are planning track days then the best option would be use the Millers 50 grade oil. The R-Tech recommended Millers Oil supplier is www.akstuning.co.uk - 01234 822324"

I guess the Quantum Platinum will be okay with regular changes? I'll probably only be doing a trackday maximum 2 times a year

Motul 300V Power here.

The Quantum Platinum served me absolutely fine for the half a year I was running it and as R-Tech state that it's a good oil to use, then I'm sure you'd be fine bud.

Reactions: S3Alex
Stage 1 and a few track days is a 50:50 decision .

Stock oil or 5W40 ester racing .

One thing is certain , there's the misconception that 5W40 Quantum Platinum is thicker than 5W30 Quantum-Longlife III , it is , but by the smallest of margins .

Platinums , 13 Centistokes Vs LongLife III's 12 Centistokes .

2016-06-03-08-36-39-jpg.93062

As you can see if LongLife III was 0.50 of a Centistoke thicker it would be classed as 40 grade .

Coupled with other different inc labritory information the Platinum is a lesser quality oil .

Reactions: HHS3