A4 2.4 B6 2003 over heating.

Harryg420

Reaction score
Guys,
Can you please help im at my wits end!!
I bought a A4 a few weeks ago, the problem occurred when i went to get a mot done.
The coolant was just spitting out of the expansion tank, they told me that it might be the cap,water pump, which i had replaced. (water pump done by previous owner)
But the problem was still there, i then had the head gasket done with timing belt an all. Checked the radiator for blockages, but still it does the same.
The mechanic has now told me the block may have gone, as someone may have poured cold water in had it overheated as the collant enters the bottom of the engine.
which means im F%!&ed

Someone help please

Is it showing on the temp guage?Sounds like the pump to me.Have you got proof that it was changed?Blocks crack when water freezes and pouring water in the rad wont.Are you losing coolant ?

yes just fitted a new pump again. The temperature isn't going past half way,when it gets to that point the coolant just starts to pour out of the expansion tank.

Could be a blockage somewhere even maybe the stat shut stuck.Try back flushing the system with a hose under pressure

the only place theyre could be a block, is in the block? The mech told me he tried every thing. bypassing everything.
Once he starts it and puts in, water starts to rise in the expansion tank.
I asked him again and hes convinced its the block, is it worth the hassle? is it better to either sell it or scarp it? hes advised me on both
ive had it 6 weeks and not even driven it

Yep changed it, and even took it out completely.
No change

The thing is it the coolant starts spewing at about halfway on the temp gauge, if I keep the interior fan on full blast it's ok

So if that stops the problem its not cooling through the rad .Does it get hot all over ?Its the bottom bit that clogs .Does the fan kick in OK?If the block cracks you should see a leak and lose a lot of coolant and get water in the oil or steamy white exhaust or both

he said hes bypassed the rad and flushed it out, theres no white smoke and no coolant leak and the fan kicks in and still there's pressure building
is it normal for the coolant to start flowing back up?

No its overheating for some reason and if blowing the heater full on cures or relieves it my bet is the main rad.Its hard to clear a sludge build up at the bottom and this is easily checked by feel.Thats where the fan is most effective and needs a clear rad.Did you replace the cap with a genuine new one?

yes it was a genuine cap, is it possible the block has a blockage? if so how can I clear it?

Could be but reverse flushing might shift it.Its still likely to be the rad.Build up has always been a problem if the right coolant wasnt used.I would be surprised if it is 100% clesr cos the heater matrix is doing well and thats a mini rad and indicates coolant is circulating just not being adequately cooled

Success!!! ive finally got the car sorted, the problem was the radiator fan module, this car had almost got me divorced !!
Thanks guys for your input

Great news .So the fan wasnt kicking in after all?