Audi A3 2006 1.9 TDI oily turbo?! How serious is it...

William Taylor

Reaction score
So I just serviced my car and when I was changing the oil I thought I'd have a look around, as any normal curious person would. Well I saw a wet patch which **** me up real good when I realised its my turbo I rubbed it hoping it would be clear.. Black..
I'm not a car expert but keen to do my own work when and if I can. However I'd just like to know how serious it is, and any advice would be appreciated if this has happened to anyone else, how they sorted it out, what parts they used to replace it and how much it would cost etc.. I apologise for the poor photos but it was the best I could get at the time. Look forward to hearing from you guys soon. Cheers

Will

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 171
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 162
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 147
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 158
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 189
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 149
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 147
Last edited by a moderator:
Turbo on its way out most likely as it is letting the oil escape. I wouldn't drive the car at all if I were you, would take the turbo off and get it refurbished. I did the same thing a month ago.

Looks like just a weeping intercooler hose joint to me. I would take of the intercooler hoses and see how much oil is in the circuit (there will always be some) especially as the car is 10 years old. Clean out the oil from as many hoses and intercooler you can, replace all the seals and fit it all back together again. Keep a check on the oil level for a few weeks after. I would only worry about the turbo if it were unusually noisy.