Scraping noise on boost?

idnan

Reaction score
I'm having a very strange situation where my Stage 1 tuned s3 makes a grinding/scraping noise when coming at full boost. It has a 3" DP and decat pipe.

Since owning the car I've done the following:

New DV
New Vac lines
New Forge DV and N75 hoses
Turbo reconditioned with brand new hot side and actuator
Replaced leaking manifold
New gaskets turbo to manifold and turbo to downpipe
New MAF
Checked boost hoses and clamps except the one behind the drivers headlight
Full Service
New HG
Red powerflex dogbone
Polytek'd engine mounts
DP aligned away from prop as much as possible
Upgraded fuel pump
Fitted oversized Badger5 billet tip
Refurbed both front CV joints
Checked boost via gauge and its 20psi tapering down to 13psi

The noise is only at full boost and disappears completely as soon as you come off boost. I replaced the turbo fearing that it was caused by the play it had but I'm annoyed the noise still exists. It sounds like a metal on metal sort of hollow noise.

If it was a driveshaft touching something then I'm guessing it would do it most of the time or at particular speeds. Now that I've strengthened the engine mounts the engine shouldn't be moving much at all.

The only things I've noticed is the decat pipe gasket looks like it could do with replacing and the egt sensor despite being tightened, I can still move the pipe. Is that normal?

Can anyone confirm that the egt sensor pipe should move or not?

You sure you're DP isn't moving when on full chat and scraping your prop? Used to happen to me.

Feel like a right numpty now! Took the car out on a nice open strech of road and managed to replicate the noise a fair few times.

Turns out it's coming from the rear end! Its not related to boost as well, more when the car comes onto its power band and the rear pushes down if that makes sense. Think I need to check all the heat shields and how close they are to the prop.

I think the egt sensor was damaged very slightly and needs to be sorted with a dremel so it sits properly. I've adjusted the dp and strengthened the engine mounts so hope the prop isn't touching the downpipe.

Also to add, the car has been lowered by the previous owner