Changing brake Light

roadrunner

Reaction score
One of my brake lights has gone... not bad after 6 years. The problem is I can't see how to change it and the service book seems to suggest I have to have it done by a dealer. In the words of John McEnroe... they cannot be serious... or can they?

They are just small bulbs in the light.
You need to take the rear window plastcs off and there is one scew holding it in.
Then seperate the red filter from the black casing by prizing at the tabs and it shoud come apart to just push a new bulb in?
Hope this helps?

I replaced some of the LED's and they kept flickering on and off, so i ripped it out after a good hours frustration with a broom holding the brake pedal down. I am going to buy another from the scrappy but what are rules regarding coppers and being pulled.

I take it you are talking about the high level brake light (in tailgate). I think they seem to have a common problem with the actual holders. A few of mine had gone and even after replacing the bulbs didnt work. Yet when you wiggle them about in the holder they come on. Whenever i have driven behind an A3/Golf alot of them have lights out as well. If you wonna buy the bulbs and have a go they are 286 bulbs.

dan_a3 said:
If you wonna buy the bulbs and have a go they are 286 bulbs.
Hi, are they white lights then filtered red, or are they red bulbs? thanks

they are clear bulbs that turn red, i couldnt find any myself, apart from in Halfords where they were £2 a pop!! i think there are around ten in the cluster so not a cheap job.......tried loads of places..... all apart from Audi and had the same problem with the new additions flashing...... bit crap really but minor luckily....still annoying..... if your going to change 1, you may aswell change them all. The clips that hold the plastic trim on dont take kindly to being removed frequently.

You must have some pants motor factors up your way then! We sell loads of them and normally charge about 50p each! Halfords see you coming i think!

Trouble was Dan, i tried everywhere (apart from Audi cos too far away)..... had to go to halfords in the end....didnt like paying £2 each, although replaced what had gone rather than the whole lot due to the price.... car wasnt worth that much:blownose:

Needs must ay. Well next time let me know ill stick some in the post for ya!

1animal1 said:
The clips that hold the plastic trim on dont take kindly to being removed frequently.

Hi again - well I got the replacement bulbs, and I've had a do at pulling off the plastic interior tailgate trim. I got a philips and removed the two screws on the inside handle and the bottom part clipped off - but the top part which is still hiding the brake light won't. I can't see how to unclip it. It looks like it ain't gonna come off at all - so how is it done?

thanks

No worries, I prised it from the top end, it came with a bit of leverage.

So what are the rules with the coppers about taking the poor quality high level brake light off??

Why are you so worried about the police?? I think your ok mate, they are high vis brake lights not mandatory i think... check with the police first though im not taking responsibilty for you getting arrested!!