New car

wideboybloke

Reaction score
Taking delivery of my 3rd Audi in about 10 days' time. I paid for the two previous cars to be Autoglymmed and then I discovered detailing. I gather that the AG Lifeshine treatment is a coat of polish and I don't need to pay £400 or however much it is these days for somebody else to polish my car (plus a bag of products).
So I shall be taking delivery of the car in its naked state, so to speak, and the question is: what treatment to apply to the bodywork from day 1.

The car will stand on a driveway next to a pine tree so fine deposits of sap is a constant problem. When I discovered clay barring I realised that it was removing the AG treatment, rendering it rather a waste of money after just 12 months' protection. Clay barring is necessary every 12 months to keep the nice glassy feel on the paintwork. My inclination would be to apply a coat of AG Polymer Resin polish between clay barring, keeping the sap at bay in between times with AG rapid detailer. I have both products (plus a whole host of other AG products) in my garage.

I'm sure I could do better, so I would be very grateful for any guidance. Just so you know, the car will not fit in the garage so that way of avoiding the sap won't work and the pine tree is protected, so cutting it down is a non-starter.

Walk away from the life shine AG or whatever they call it these days. Total waste of money.

If I were you, with the car under a tree whilst parked I'd get it ceramic coated or one of the other tough coats.

There's a good few to choose from such as Gtechniq, CarPro etc etc. All depends what you're willing to pay.

The Gtechniq can be around the £500 mark or you can do the CarPro CQUARTZUK yourself for around £40.

Just remember it's all in the preparation. With these products claying isn't essential to keep it ultra smooth. I've only got CarPro Reload on mine and haven't clayed it yet 18 months into ownership.

Look about this section and you'll find plenty advice on what to apply and how.

What colour is your car???

Reactions: Bristle Hound
Car is silver. I've just read the write-up on a thread a couple of years ago by the guy who did his own Fiesta ST. Blimey, I wasn't thinking of going to the trouble he takes, but some really good advice there.

When the salesman asked this time round if I wanted the Lifeshine treatment (they actually use Gardx these days) I asked if it is some kind of plastic coating. He said it wasn't, so I asked if it was just a coat of polish then. Lots of erm... and umm.... before he confessed that it is no more than that, although the carpets get treated too. That convinced me I don't need to waste my money having that done when I can do it myself. I am retired, so I have all the time in the world.

Thanks for the replies so far.

I originally wrote that claying might not remove wax anyway, but I might be stood corrected on that. In any case, the advice I will give you is that if you can machine polish prior to applying a wax/sealant like SRP, then you will really reap the rewards!

I tend to find that claying leave behind some very minor marring, so a final polish is always good after a clay anyway. Polishing is always one sure fire way of making sure the paint is completely perfect and free of any previous products :)