S3 8p bonnet cable/latch snapped

goodbuzzman1

Reaction score
so today my TT engine cover arrived. I pulled my bonnet release and I think it snapped. I can see the cable is still attached to the pull handle. So how in the name of God am I going release my bonnet?

Ok I took the cover from underneath, no access, I gently prised between the bonnet and grille, doesn't look like there is anywhere to press against to flip it open. When I move the lever I can here the release cable up to around 7 inches from the catch. Anyone got any suggestions before I destroy my grille??

Anyone any advice on this? In thinking if I remove the drivers side wheel arch trim j might be able to reach something

Yes take o/s/f wheel arch cover off. There should be a connector block were it joins to the cable coming from the latch to the release hand cable. (2section) cant mind were it is but its in that vicinity somewere.

I had to open a b7 rs4 bonnet with a broken cable lately, I used a reciprocating saw with a hacksaw blade to cut the bonnet catch, I put tape on grill and bonnet edges and did no damage, new bonnet catch and cable were fitted after

Just a little update in case anyone else encounters this problem. Problem solved.

I took out the wheel arch lining on the drivers side. Absolutely no access. Tried putting weight on the bonnet etc. nothing. Looked under the bumper...impossible. Almost gave up. Here's how I did it..

If you look through the front grille above the Audi badge you will see a plastic cover where you would imaging the latch to be. There is a small square hole in it...If you reeeeeelly look through that hole, you can just about see a cable.

Get a bit of strong metal (I used an old dip stick) and make a hook on the end. Feed it through that hole and with a bit of patience you can hook the cable and pull it. Job done.

Here's a pic of the hole through the grille

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,629
Reactions: olbu, DJ_26, Sandra and 2 others
Well done and great to know. We need more threads closed out like this.

I had literally given up hope to be honest. After I got the bonnet open I thought I'd be greeted with a seized latch but it ended up being the cable itself. It was stretched and freying

Great method, I can imagine the relief!

Just a little update in case anyone else encounters this problem. Problem solved.

I took out the wheel arch lining on the drivers side. Absolutely no access. Tried putting weight on the bonnet etc. nothing. Looked under the bumper...impossible. Almost gave up. Here's how I did it..

If you look through the front grille above the Audi badge you will see a plastic cover where you would imaging the latch to be. There is a small square hole in it...If you reeeeeelly look through that hole, you can just about see a cable.

Get a bit of strong metal (I used an old dip stick) and make a hook on the end. Feed it through that hole and with a bit of patience you can hook the cable and pull it. Job done.

Here's a pic of the hole through the grille
Can you explain more detailed? I am in the same situation as you, I'm about to give up... Saw your comment but cant seem to find the cable? I can't even see anything in that little hole... Help please!