myAudi special destinations (POI)

The manual is probably generic though and there probably is a disclaimer somewhere in the manual that will state either these features vary from model to model or that these features are not available on every car. I remember the manual for my mk4 mondeo referencing the glovebox air conditioning which was never available in the uk..

Yes the manual is generic and covers all versions of the car (in my case all UK versions of the Q2) but each subsection of the manual, if it doesn't apply to all versions, clearly states what model versions or equipment options it applies to.

In my manual, both myAudi Special Destinations and Map Updates have the same applicability statements:
"Applies to: vehicles with navigation system" - for importing updates using an SD card, and
"Applies to: vehicles with navigation system and Audi connect" - for online updates.

So the applicability of these functions seems clear and logical, whereas the response I got through my dealer seems inconsistent with the manual.

I'm convinced this issue is with the Audi back end servers. Periodically I've tried to download POIs OTA, this week I got a 'failed to communicate with server' error instead of 'the update data are not compatible or are outdated' message. Although the POIs have been sent to the car, it looks a handshake has to take place between the car and Audi servers to complete the download.

Your comment is probably correct for online updates, but it can't be right for importing updates using an SD card because this is supposed to work if the car is not 'connected'. I suspect there is indeed an issue with the Audi back end servers, but it's to do with the way the POIs are formatted for download or online transfer from the myAudi website. In my case I get the same error message whether I use online update or an SD card.

Last edited:
As I have both working is there anything I could look for in my car that might help?

cuke2u - As yours is working, I think the main question is whether navigation is SD card based or whether the maps and routing software are loaded on a built-in hard drive.

Conversely is there anyone who definitely has SD card based navigation and has myAudi Special Destinations and Map Updates working via online update and/or import by SD card?

It does sound logical that the poi's, as they are downloaded to the car, need to be stored somewhere and they only logical place is the hard drive. As sd based navigation doesn't have a drive then it is hard to see how it would work..

It does sound logical that the poi's, as they are downloaded to the car, need to be stored somewhere and they only logical place is the hard drive. As sd based navigation doesn't have a drive then it is hard to see how it would work..

The poi's are very small files. Couple of kilobytes. Im sure there is a space reserved on sd card for that. No way its filled to the maximum. I dont think you can do maps updates for sd based nav but pois should be doable

Had a play in the car last night, here's what I found;

Google send to car - worked
Destination via myaudi website - worked
Myaudi upload poi - worked
Myaudi send uploaded poi to car - didn't work
Put poi onto a sd or usb and upload - worked

So the issue seems to be on the myaudi website failing to send the uploaded poi to the car

By the way, I have my16 with tech pack but without integrated sim. I tethered my iphone to the car and had the connect app open.

I have attached an image of my settings if that helps. The car says that there are no available updates so presume it is up to date.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    377.2 KB · Views: 270
The poi's are very small files. Couple of kilobytes. Im sure there is a space reserved on sd card for that. No way its filled to the maximum. I dont think you can do maps updates for sd based nav but pois should be doable
They vary in size and yes it should be doable if Audi allow it, however you are correct about map updates for SD card based MMI systems..

They vary in size and yes it should be doable if Audi allow it, however you are correct about map updates for SD card based MMI systems..

The original SD-card with the maps is not writeable. I already figured this when I started this topic and so i tried to make a clone of the SD card to a different card which was writeable but it gave me the same errors. Navigation did work flawlessly though with that card.

Anyway, if it's not supposed to work in our cars with SD navigation then Audi should be clear about that.
IF it was not supposed to work then why would they describe the ability to upload custom POI's in the specifications of the SD navigation online, the manual, the myAudi website, why would there be the available settings in the menu that don't work and so on.... thats why i can only think of it as if somethings not working instead of it was not intended to.

I went to the dealer a while ago as they claimed to have an update for the MMI to fix it, but then the update (apparently) failed. They keep following up this problem with the factory but no news yet.

Hi, i have exactly same errors on my17 saloon sport with sd satnav. whats your mmi version? my one is 0148 which seem very old as some of the new cars have version 06xx. im wondering if this is related do old version of MMI...

Don't think so. Mine is also 0148, i guess the 06xx is the version for the tech pack version.

Reactions: bpnike
The original SD-card with the maps is not writeable. I already figured this when I started this topic and so i tried to make a clone of the SD card to a different card which was writeable but it gave me the same errors. Navigation did work flawlessly though with that card.
I believe that making copies of the SD navigation card is in breach of Audi terms and conditions. I seem to remember someone getting a very clear email, or a letter, from Audi pointing this out when they tried to share the latest maps on a file sharing site.

I believe that making copies of the SD navigation card is in breach of Audi terms and conditions. I seem to remember someone getting a very clear email, or a letter, from Audi pointing this out when they tried to share the latest maps on a file sharing site.

Okaaaaay... i didn't share any maps did i? Btw, if you want to update maps you have to download them on an empty SD card...

Btw, if you want to update maps you have to download them on an empty SD card...
Yes this method work with the technology pack, but not with sd card based navigation. I have done this several times with my A3, and once with A4. However you can also download updated maps directly to the MMI, if you've the data allowance as they are over 18gb, or I've read some have been successful with a portable hard drive.

@mjcourtney
thanks for the guide in your earlier post, very much appreciated. Got an update error in the car on the first download attempt, but worked perfectly on the second.

Now just need to work out where the Nav setting is that gets the car to notify me when I'm near the cameras!

Reactions: mjcourtney
Ah, found how to turn on the notifications.

In the Nav Settings, its under Arrival Notes, which is not exactly the most intuitive title for a menu section used to turn on POI notifications.

Once you're in the Arrival Notes section:
  • Tick the box to turn on POI notifications at the top of the screen,
  • Tick the box immediately below to play a notification tone,
  • Scroll down to MyAudiSpecialDestinations and open this section by pressing down on the scroll wheel
  • Tick all the boxes for the various types of cameras.
Now just need to find some cameras to drive past (slowly!) and check this all works properly.

Reactions: pagenotfound, mjcourtney and Candell
How can you like a post 10 times haha, thanks FAB101, I didn't think you could set alerts on POI categories. I had a fun drive to Norfolk last week and had a few late braking incidents because I wasn't paying attention to the screen.

Reactions: FAB101
This is very frustrating as this doesn't work on my car. My dealer can't fathom it out, and Audi UK are about as useful as chocolate teapot. The response from tech teams in Germany is 'it should work'

Reactions: CGaggia
This is very frustrating as this doesn't work on my car. My dealer can't fathom it out, and Audi UK are about as useful as chocolate teapot. The response from tech teams in Germany is 'it should work'

Thats definitely not good Fozzie.

Not sure they will help, but only suggestions I can offer are:
  • (1) to try resetting the MMI to factory settings and starting from scratch. This process (at least on my last car) involved a complete "hard reboot" of the system and should help if there is a stray setting somewhere in the MMI system that is stopping things working.
  • (2) to login in to the Connect system in the car by manually typing your myaudi username / password login details, rather than using the pin code generated by the app . When I picked up the car, dealer suggested that a few people had problems when trying to use the pin code to connect and recommended I type the full login details instead.

@mjcourtney
thanks for the guide in your earlier post, very much appreciated. Got an update error in the car on the first download attempt, but worked perfectly on the second.

FAB101: Please confirm whether your car runs Navigation from a built-in hard drive - it's not clear from your spec details (you don't mention the Tech Pack).

It looks as though myAudi Special Destinations won't work on SD card based Navigation, but I haven't been able to get definite confirmation of this.

Gammaray: Yes, my car has the hard drive based Navigation (the S4 has the majority of the Tech Pack elements fitted as part of its standard spec).

FAB101: Please confirm whether your car runs Navigation from a built-in hard drive - it's not clear from your spec details (you don't mention the Tech Pack).

It looks as though myAudi Special Destinations won't work on SD card based Navigation, but I haven't been able to get definite confirmation of this.
That's what i figured in the end. Gave up after Audi UK insisted it should work but dealer couldn't figure it out (telling me it should be possible but that they wouldn't assist due to legalities surrounding camera POI!). I'd tried everything. Reset MMI, different SD Cards, inserting a blank SD card thinking maybe it needs somewhere to store settings, the lot. Guess i should have up specced and got the tech pack. Tad annoying that MyAudi website and manuals make no mention of this, but it's clearly the case. You'd think a manufacturer like Audi would know what one can and can't do depending on spec.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Is it an SD card navigation issue, as I'm having exactly the same problems with the built-in hard drive.

Speed Camera alerts wont work with Google Earth Maps.

How do people look for POI to download?
I cant find a suitable website to download from.

PocketGPSWorld are the best, very frequently updated too.

I used a Windows program a member on here created for his A3, it uses your PocketGPSWorld account, downloads the latest DB and sends it straight to your SD card in the correct folder structure. Works on our B9 A4's too :)

I have the alerts working on all map types, I've done 3 customer visits today across NW England using Google maps and the alerts still work.

Really? All the other posts I've read state that the speed camera alerts won't work with google maps.
Speed camera alerts works for me with Google maps and my FY17 A4 B9 (built September, delivered late October). Got everything to work except for changing (increasing) the zoom level, post #187 in the New A3/S3 (8V Chassis) thread Speed Camera POI.

//Hans

I have the tech pack but I don't know if that's the reason it works.

Is it really a .bmp file (a bitmap). If so, not surprising that it doesn't like the file format!

I would check the file format and file extension, the .bmp bit.

Geoff

The bitmap is the image for the icon...

Yes, SPECS is the average speed cameras

After all the effort of getting the POI's downloaded, my car has stopped reading my SD Card and won't even acknowledge there is one installed!!! Bl**dy raging!!!

Or is it something I'm doing wrong?
I followed the steps in My audi and it saved the file to my laptop. I then cut and pasted this onto my SD Card.
Could this be an issue? I don't think it could have been though.