1.4 Tfsi Timing Chain

pj51182

Reaction score
Just had to have my timing chains replaced on my 10 plate A3 with 63k on the clock. Had the Timing chain tensioner replaced at 43k under warranty.

Car was sounding rough on a cold start when it had the tensioner replaced. Started to sound awful again recently so took back in to Audi get it looked at.

Been advised that the timing chains and guides would need replacing as the chains have stretched links. Cost is £1,764 but managed to get it down to £1,000 based on service history etc. There was an oil leak picked up on the last service "Oil Leak From engine Suspect Timing Chain Case" so I believe this was caused when the tensioner was replaced and possibly lead the chains needing to be replaced? The leak wasn't there before they ripped my engine apart but as ever it's always very difficult to prove this was the cause of the leak.

Obviously really unhappy that a car that has done low mileage has had this issue. Was wondering if anyone else has had similar issues with the Tfsi engines?

In addition to this the start stop had given up (required new sensor to provide battery voltage to the ecu).

not had the issue yet, but its common on all the tfsi engines and the vw tsi ones, wish i knew about this before i brought mine, ive got a 1.8tfsi which it is common to, the new tensioners are meant to be improved in design.

Thing is the tensioner was changed and the chains still now need replacing! From what I've been reading the tfsi engines have lots of known issues and Audi know about them. Nice cash cow for them when they start having issues just outside of warranty.