2.5 tdi quiery

Amps Marine engineering.

Reaction score
Hi guys hoping a guru on here might be able to tell me the difference between the 150 engines and the 180.
Starting to think about power upgrades, I'm a student though and am looking at the financial logistics of every path if you catch my drift...
I have a 150 with high miles and am looking into and over haul.and was thinking about incorporating parts from a more powerful motor...
Any info greatly received

Cheers
Joe

What year is your car ? Do you know the engine code ?

Not sure yet buddy, where is the spec sheet located in the cars so as I can tell you. I'm also sat on the a1 in newcastle with a camera pulley that has somehow seperated

Seems to be an afb

Attachments

• 20160919_121250.jpg
    20160919_121250.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 209
  • 20160919_121247.jpg
    20160919_121247.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 208
Hi guys hoping a guru on here might be able to tell me the difference between the 150 engines and the 180.
Starting to think about power upgrades, I'm a student though and am looking at the financial logistics of every path if you catch my drift...
I have a 150 with high miles and am looking into and over haul.and was thinking about incorporating parts from a more powerful motor...
Any info greatly received

Cheers
Joe
Afb

Looks like you have had some issues with the cam. I know early versions of the 2.5 TDI suffer with cam issues due to poor lubrication resulting in followers braking causing all kinds of mechanical issues. I would say something has caused the cam to seize and that is what has broken the pulley. Chris Adams @adamss24 resident expert on these knows everything there is to know.
I would say that the engine may well be terminal, If you want it back on the road probably better looking for a newer second hand lump.
http://www.partinfo.co.uk/files/TB42.pdf

Looks like you have had some issues with the cam. I know early versions of the 2.5 TDI suffer with cam issues due to poor lubrication resulting in followers braking causing all kinds of mechanical issues. I would say something has caused the cam to seize and that is what has broken the pulley. Chris Adams @adamss24 resident expert on these knows everything there is to know.
I would say that the engine may well be terminal, If you want it back on the road probably better looking for a newer second hand lump.
http://www.partinfo.co.uk/files/TB42.pdf

Wow man that's really helpful!!!

So if I was to keep it 150 or 163 what engine code has rollers ? So I can look for the right engine.

I have seen this type of damage when The bolts That hold the timing belt rear cover come undone- they are still on on yours. Very unfortunate but you might be lucky and have just a few smashed rocker arms. I would take the rocker covers off and check condition of the cams, if they worn you might as well think about replacing them with a new kit. If you need an engine I have a rebuilt lump 180 Bhp of a car I am breaking, it's had new timing belt kit fitted not long ago and a full forget camshaft kit, drop me a pm if interested...

Reactions: Amps Marine engineering.
I have seen this type of damage when The bolts That hold the timing belt rear cover come undone- they are still on on yours. Very unfortunate but you might be lucky and have just a few smashed rocker arms. I would take the rocker covers off and check condition of the cams, if they worn you might as well think about replacing them with a new kit. If you need an engine I have a rebuilt lump 180 Bhp of a car I am breaking, it's had new timing belt kit fitted not long ago and a full forget camshaft kit, drop me a pm if interested...
Mr Adams I pmdam you a couple of days ago buddy.