Audi S3 Audio Gremlins

JayHa11

Reaction score
Ive had my S3 for just over a month now and it appears to have a hidden gremlin that has surfaced :-(

When first using my car in the mornings and after any rainfall (May be coincidence but this it when it appears at its worst) the speakers either do not work at all or they keep cutting out all at once. This is whether its on radio or media. The power is not being cut to the head unit as the display is unaffected, after a period of time that can be between 10 sec and 10 mins the sound fades back in. I am also hearing 'popping' from the speakers when the sound cuts out, this popping can also be heard even if the key is not in the ignition!

I have had both rear boot panels off, I dont believe I have the Bose sound system as there is no Amp located in the OS rear cubby. It has the rear sub woofer however on the opposite side. I have the LED RNS-E Nav head unit which was fitted by the previous owner.

A VAG-COM scan didn't really highlight any issues with the head unit other than the following which do not sound like problems which would cause speakers to drop in and out:

00858 - Connection; Radio Intermediate Frequency (IF) Output to Antenna Amplifier
007 - Short to Ground
02261 - Data Medium
014 - Defective - Intermittent
00858 - Connection; Radio Intermediate Frequency (IF) Output to Antenna Amplifier
007 - Short to Ground

I am at my wits really unsure what to do next, I just know its driving me mad!

If anyone has any experience of this or ICE knowledge to help rule some factors out that would be so helpful.

Thanks
Jamie

Popping is a hard switch off on my external 3600 watt amp it does this on shut down. But it sounds like you have a bad connection somewhere that is killing the amplifier. The amp for the sub woofer on the non bose system is at the top would be worth digging a little deeper into the amp. But being wet is a coincidence as it could be earthing out before the amp get power

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Its definitely moisture related as every morning this week the sound has been out and the speakers popping on my way to work. Once the car has been drying out in the sun all day the stereo is faultless on the way home.