2012 multitronic rattle

Beebrown

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I have searched this on the forum and couldn't find anything related to the newer multitronic gearbox so thought I'd post a thread.

I have a 62 plate A4 facelift model with a multitronic box. I have had the car about 3 weeks. I am a mechanic by trade, I understand the basic principles of a CVT but never had the misfortune to work on one.

Anyway... Just as I take up drive, in auto or reverse, at just maybe 5 mph/2000 rpm, I hear a slight rattle. I'm pretty sure it's from the gearbox as it doesn't do it in neutral in the same rev range. From my understanding of a CVT i can only come to the conclusion that it is the chain rattleing just as it takes up drive. This might be normal? It doesn't sound drastic, it's just a slight rattle noise, only heard with the windows down. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

i wouldnt touch it and take it straight to audi and have it diagnosed and taken back to where you bought it from

I have done about 140,000 miles with CVT transmissions and never heard a rattle. Sometimes thuds if I go from forward to reverse too quickly, but never rattles.

Cheers for the replies. Wouldn't dream of stripping a CVT myself. I've had a good read up on the internals and would prefer to steer well clear. I am booked in at Audi Manchester early next month for the emissions recall and have rang to get them to take a look at the rattle too. Had it up on a lift today at work to confirm the origin of the noise before I throw £60+vat diagnostic charge on a rattleing heat shield... I'm pretty sure it's coming from the box.

I only have standard 3 month warranty from when I purchased the car from a trader (not main dealer), that will cover absolutely nothing. I was wondering how well Audi give in to a bit of customer pressure? The car was registered in sept 2012 and has covered 64k with full Audi service history and CVT oil change at 38k, but is still obviously out of manufacturers warranty. Am I likely to get a contribution or even full payment for the repairs if I dig my heals in? I only ask because I work for a Peugeot dealership and generally, a dealership maintained vehicle just out of warranty without silly miles on will get paid by Peugeot for repairs if they dig their heels in. Just a thought. Maybe I'm clutching at straws to save a massive repair bill after just buying the car.

Tl;dr - maybe it's a lemon, how do I get out of this mess?

Our fire engine rattles the boxes boobs off if it's in a too high gear and it's trying to change down.

I always advise people to steer clear of the multichronic gearboxes. They always seem prone to issues. Audi seem to have finally dropped them now and no longer fit them in any model. Not sure the dealer is going to spend a lot of money stripping a gearbox to stop what is a slight rattle.

I only have standard 3 month warranty from when I purchased the car from a trader (not main dealer), that will cover absolutely nothing.
FYI there is no such thing as a 3 month warranty. You are covered under the new (October 2015) Consumer Rights Act which covers you for 6 months. See here

Cheers pricy, on the back of reading that I rang the trader and explained that the box is rattleing and advised him that it's booked in at Audi early next month. I was expecting a fight, I didn't get one, he must be well aware of the consumer rights act. Told me to bring it back and he will book in to a garage of his choice to have it diagnosed and repaired. I am waiting for him to call back.

Had another look at it today and removed the flywheel inspection plate as the source of the rattle seems to be coming from what I would consider the bell housing. The driveshaft seems to run thought the bell housing, and is in very close proximity to the flywheel bolts. I will turn the engine over by hand tomorrow and make sure one of the flywheel bolts hasn't worked its self loose and is catching on the driveshaft as it flexes when you take up drive. One think I'm pretty certain about now is that the noise doesn't originate inside the box, more inside the bell housing. Still looks like an aweful job to remove the gearbox for inspection.

Leaving the car with the trader would leave me without a car for a while and I imagine it will not be a quick fix. Anyone any idea where I stand in regards to getting a replacement car while the repair is being done?
Thanks again,

Ian.

Sounds like the DMF to me.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A4-A...687972?hash=item46555a3d24:g:B28AAOSw37tWDppc
The transmission layout of the B8 A4 was changed to allow the whole engine/ transmission to be moved further back to inprove the weight distribution .
Have a look at this document, page 42 covers the multitronic. But previous pages describe the changes. The A5 uses the same power train as the A4.
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwjSq7yrxtXPAhVlLcAKHTxDACkQFggeMAA&url=http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=10567&d=1430158262&usg=AFQjCNFo1JLYhSpe8JfKz_29V8HTboLyqw&cad=rja

The gearbox isn't light, document says 118Kg.

I would have to agree and say it's most probably the DMF. It just doesn't sound like any conventional manual dual mass failure I've heard before. Sounds more "tinny" and doesn't come with any more of the usual symptoms like heavy vibrations and chatter on idle or start up. Having said that, it's far from a conventional dual mass having seen the document you provided. Cheers for the info. Great help.