Led Bulb for DRL's - Halogen Lights

Ormesome

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Can i put in Canbus LED bulbs to replace the existing normal bulbs for the DLR's? I have standard Halogen lights... The existing bulbs are quite yellow and im not a big fan of them. It seems like the DLR's aren't connected to the dip or main beam bulbs (separate bulbs) so shouldn't affect the other lights. Has anyone done this or have any info on if its possible?Couldn't find any threads on this particular question, most wanted to upgrade the full lights to Zenon etc....

Thanks

J

You can get much whiter versions of normal bulbs. Lifetime of LED should be better if you can get ones that don't trigger a fault.

Reactions: Ormesome
The only thing with the LED in normal laps is the projection is pretty poor. I tried them in mine, and while they give a lovely crisp white light
A. They didn't last long
B. The light was poor

I'm now using Philips Extreme Vision bulbs and I'm happier with them.

Reactions: Ormesome
You can get much whiter versions of normal bulbs. Lifetime of LED should be better if you can get ones that don't trigger a fault.

Yeah thats why i was gonna go for Canbus LED's as i dont think they set off the bulb warning.

Thanks for this. iv sent a private message to that user :)

Reactions: Sandra
The only thing with the LED in normal laps is the projection is pretty poor. I tried them in mine, and while they give a lovely crisp white light
A. They didn't last long
B. The light was poor

I'm now using Philips Extreme Vision bulbs and I'm happier with them.

Hmm but i dont need good projection right?They arent going to guide me in the dark as the DLR's are separate bulbs to the normal dip/full beam so will just be during day time. its just the DRL's i want to change. others will stay standard.

Last edited:
I've considered this DRL LED bulb change as all the lights on the front of my 2010 car are halogen. For the H7 main bulbs there are lots of road legal, whiter options which are also supposed to be a bit brighter e.g. Osram Cool Blue Intense get good write-ups. Are there any tips for getting easier access to the bulbs? It seems that unless you have hands like ET, it is very difficult to get your hands to the rear of the bulbs. Is it a bumper off or arch liners off job? :blush:

For anyone looks to upgrade Halogen headlight bulbs Osram Night breaker unlimited are very good.

For anyone looks to upgrade Halogen headlight bulbs Osram Night breaker unlimited are very good.
True... not necessarily as 'white' as some that are available though, which I believe is the general look the OP is after

I changed my DRL's for a higher intensity white, they looked good but light output was shocking, infact they were so dull people couldn't see me flashing properly! So I just decided to put the old bulbs back in turn the DRL's off with my VCDS cable. At least people will see me flashing eh!

Here's a 50/50 I took before:

The 6000k bulb on the left v standard on the right

I thought the DRL's and the full beam headlights are the same bulb on the halogen headlight units. Coz that's what they are on mine. H15 bulbs. And there aren't many options out there for these bulbs that are brighter and whiter, and of a decent quality.

Reactions: Glasgoe Joe
I thought the DRL's and the full beam headlights are the same bulb on the halogen headlight units. Coz that's what they are on mine. H15 bulbs. And there aren't many options out there for these bulbs that are brighter and whiter, and of a decent quality.

Yeah that's right! H15 are the DRL's / Full Beam, H7 are dipped and W5W are the side lights

oh ****** yeah they are separate! i thought the 3 bulbs meant seperate bulbs for each setting and dip/main beam on same bulb/ oh well, ill leave her as she is! cheers for all the posts & info :)

I changed my DRL's for a higher intensity white, they looked good but light output was shocking, infact they were so dull people couldn't see me flashing properly! So I just decided to put the old bulbs back in turn the DRL's off with my VCDS cable. At least people will see me flashing eh!

Are DRL's not a legal requirement now for cars built?

I'd have a stab and say you're right, mine aren't disabled full stop, you can just turn them on and off with the headlight switch.

Reactions: DJAlix
Cut and paste from the inter web:

European legislation adopted in 2008 required dedicated daytime running lights (DRL) to be fitted to all new 'types' of passenger cars and small delivery vans since February 2011. Trucks and buses followed from August 2012.

Daytime running lights are designed to come on automatically when the engine is started - all other lights should remain off.

Note: This does not mean that every new car first registered after February 2011 will have DRL fitted. The requirement only applies to models that go through the European whole vehicle type approval process after that date i.e. new or substantially facelifted models.

Daytime running lights must be bright enough that they can be seen clearly in daylight and as a result are too bright to be used at night time when they would cause dazzle. Daytime running lights should therefore go off automatically when headlights or sidelights are switched on.

Daytime running lights don't have to be separate lights - some car manufacturers combine them with the front position lamps (side lights) in which case the daytime running lights will dim when the headlights are turned on.

If daytime running lights are located very close to indicator lights then the DRL on the appropriate side of the vehicle must turn off while the indicator is operating to avoid masking its signal.

Reactions: SamR92