Pagid brake calipers - cheap Chinese rubbish or good aftermarket parts?

SDHA4SLine

Reaction score
Sorry but I'm afraid this is a bit of a double post as I've asked this kind of question inside another thread. However I thought a new thread specifically on this subject may draw more attention.

I need a new caliper and was wondering...
Are Pagid brake calipers cheap rubbish or do they actually perform well? Hoping someone may have 1st hand experience of them and can offer some real advice

Thanks
Steve

I think you will find they are “remanufactured” by Pagid and sold on an exchange basis. Euro Car Parts use Pagid (they have sole importing rights with Pagid in Germany) and GSF sell a firm who “remanufacture” called Estocks. I’d be completely happy with any Pagid product.

Remanufacturers bead blast the old calliper, fit a new piston, new seal, new dust cover, new bleed screw and new slider bolt rubber sleeve as appropriate. They then repaint it silver. If you go down the DIY refurb kit route it will cost you about £60 for the whole axle (£30 new pistons & £30 for the rubber bits). The tricky bit is refitting the dust cover but there are “how to” videos on Youtube. I’ve used:- http://brakeparts.co.uk/#!/

I’ve recently refurbed the rears on my Z3 for around £60 when two refurbished ATE callipers where about £300. But not a daily driver.

Buying a refurbed or new calliper is the easiest/quickest “bolt off bolt on” solution which I have also done when in a hurry.

Reactions: SDHA4SLine
I've not found anything bad on pagid calipers (unless I've not looked hard enough) so think I'll go for replacing both front calipers for piece of mind.

Also take the opertunity to upgrade to braided hoses to make me feel better about the whole situation. Goodridge ones any good?

Good practice to change older brake hoses when changing callipers. Old hoses break down from the inside, as well as internal ballooning (often seen as a reason to fit metallic hoses) they can become restricted and restrict normal hydraulic flow causing symptoms similar to a sticky calliper. Whether or not you fit metallic hoses is a personal decision, personally I don’t really believe they are necessary for road use where DOT 4 brake fluid is used.

Reactions: CHEZ
Well I've bitten the bullet, both calipers being changed,mplus new pads and fluid change. Can't get the hoses done as the garage can't get them supplied in time for the repair

Reactions: carlcall
All done £507 lighter but at least I'm back on the road!

Although whoever said it comes in three's damn you, my parking sensors have given up the ghost 1 month after warranty expired grrrrrr :rage: plus the badge on my newish rocker cover has fallen off. Luckily it's less than two years since I've purchased it and tps have successfully claimed a replacement for me :grinning:

errrrr, maybe it was me steve, but I was right though, and another case of the badge off rocker cover.

Just water in sensors, they've sorted themselves out now, phew:grinning: