Negative camber after changing rear track control arms

shad

Reaction score
Hi All.

Today i decided to change the upper rear track control arms and all four outer bushes on the s3 as i had the creaking getting worse by the day and also had play on the inner bushes on the top arms.

Looked up the part number on partslink which came back with 1JO 505 323 L upper track control arm.
I crossed this number over to firstline which came back with part number FCA7105 upper track control arm so i purchased 2.

After everything was fitted then tightened when on the ground i have noticed i now have negative camber?
New arms was measured against old before fitting and the lengths was identical.

Is it possible that the hole on the fork end of the new arm is in a different position to the original arm?
I did not think to check i just held the arms side by side.
Advice greatfully received.

Also is it possible to change the inner bushes ( standard type ) on the old rear track control arms?

is your car lowered mate? After I lowered mine I had excessive neg camber and had to go out and buy a set of adjustable arms to allow for extra camber adjustment.

Reactions: Retroman
is your car lowered mate? After I lowered mine I had excessive neg camber and had to go out and buy a set of adjustable arms to allow for extra camber adjustment.
Good point, this is a problem with some older BMWs - lowering can produce too much negative camber which is evidenced by excessive wear on the inside edge of the tyres because in reality traction and therefore handling is made slightly worse. In an ideal World, if you substantially lower a car you need to be able to adjust the camber.

Car is not lowered atall guys.
Before changing the arms and bushes the back wheels had no visible camber atall...

Today i decided to take the new arms off and replace them with the original ones i had removed and i still have the same problem but not as severe.

I also checked the length of the old and new arms and bush positions and they was identical apart from the holes for the bolt in the fork end was slightly bigger on the new arms FCA7105

The only culprit left is the bushes i replaced from rose joint type to the revised version?

Last edited:
As standard there will be a slight negative camber.

What like this?
IMAG0692 IMAG0691

I had rose joints and changed to the revised type 1J0 505 203?

pic of car on old rose joints

[photo=small]5693[/photo]

Last edited:
It does look like it's been lowered in those pictures, even on gmbh sport springs there is similar amount of camber to what you have.

top 2 pics are the car as of now after fitting revised bushes and original arms back on.
Bottom pic is before with the rose joints.
Is there more camber on top pics?
Is sports suspension pr code 1jf?