Audi Drive Select (ADS) - Efficiency Mode - Anyone Use It?

Bristle Hound

Staff member
Reaction score
Just wondering what owners of B8 / B8.5 A4 / S4 with ADS (Audi Drive Select) think of the efficiency mode
Do you use it? If you do, does it improve 'efficiency' that is actually effective?

I have ADS on my S4 & TBH I've never selected the efficiency mode
May be time for a play with it after 17 months of ownership lol

The Audi 'official' line -

'Everybody defines driving dynamics differently. We define it like this: drive exactly how you feel. With the optional Audi drive select, you can influence individual vehicle components at the push of a button and so change the character of your Audi.

The efficiency mode, however, improves consumption values. As an integral part of Audi drive select, it is characterised by more energy-efficient operation and a changed shift program. In every mode, the vehicle adjustments depend on the equipment present. Audi drive select interacts with engine, automatic transmission and steering. In addition, you can influence the suspension with damper regulation, the dynamic steering*, the cornering light, cruise control, adaptive cruise control and the quattro® with sports differential among other features – if available. The engine and gears react more spontaneously or in a more balanced manner to movements of the accelerator, depending on the mode chosen.'
http://origin-www.audi.com/sea/brand/in/models/a4/s4-saloon/equipment/audi_drive_select.html

I should imagine it will change up gears earlier and make the throttle less responsive. It probably won't make that much difference but even a small percentage improvement might be worth 1-2 mpg .

Reactions: Bristle Hound
I use it daily and I don't know if it makes much difference, it simply limits engine response. I'm sure driving at a steady pace and not accelerating aggressively or braking harshly will achieve the same fuel consumption. Audi select is probably more pronounced on auto boxes.

Reactions: Bristle Hound
I have only ever used it when my tank is very low. I thought that all it did was change the shift points so in effect it does help efficiency by keeping the average revs lower than when in D.

As well as stop-start, the newer version of Drive Select (on the TT I'm borrowing) also turns the engine off when you coast...I would imagine it saves quite a bit. Dull response though. Seems to charge the battery a little more on breaking and coasting too.

I found at normal motorway speeds economy mode used more fuel! You seem to need much more throttle to make reasonable progress and I normally use cruise control on motorways as much as possible to avoid speed creeping up. I suspect if you drove like a funeral procession it might be more economic. Stop/start brings the engine back on if you put the handbrake on! I normally override.

Used it once or twice but no noticeable mpg improvement vs. the Auto mode (it probably slips into efficiency mode when pootling about). Throttle response is dulled a lot.

Always feels pretty awful to me. So sluggish and lethargic. I've used it a few times on the motorway, forgotten I was in it, gone to pull out and not gone anywhere.
Stays firmly in individual for me now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On my B9 the improved efficiency is negligible, about 2 mpg more on each leg of my commute

Usually only ever use it when my range indicator has dropped to zero and the nervous times when I wonder if I'll make it to the next petrol station.

As everyone else has noted the throttle response is rubbish if you want to put your foot down. It also reduces power to the climate control.

Once or twice I have used it on longer trips and the mpg was definitely better. On one of those trips I managed 468 miles from 58 liters of fuel. Which isn't bad for an S4.

Reactions: scotty76