Potential M3 to S4 questions ...

bench33

Reaction score
Hi all,

Having sold my B8 2.0 tdi and bought an E46 M3 I am now thinking about coming back to Audi with a B8/8.5 S4.

How are the prices of the S4s holding up at the minute ?

Has anyone driven an E46 and can compare the performance ?

Is there anything I should be looking out for on a test drive and are any options more desirable than others ?

Cheers guys

Desirable options: Sports Diff & Drive select seem to be the common ones. personally i would look for the supersport seats as well, the normal s-line seats make the interior look a bit boring, one of the first things people comment on when seeing my car is the seats.

S-tronic - it's half the tax of the manual but there can be issues, if test driving a s-tronic make sure it shifts through all gears smoothly, and can reverse up a incline. again from a personal point of view i'm a fan of the s-tronic, only had manuals up until now but the s-tronic has won me over, it can be a bit clunky at low speeds in start/stop traffic but once you get going it's a brilliant box.

Can't comment on perfomance differences.

My brother in law had a e46 m3 and then took my s4 out. He wanted the S4 after that.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

S4 is an animal mate. The combination of Quatrro and S-tronic is amazing. In terms on price I can say from my expreicene I bought mine a year and a half ago for 17,000, Paid 2,500 for new clutch and flywheel and I'm hoping to get 15,500 for it.

Be careful with the higher mileage s-tronic boxes as they can go, or buy one thats had it replaced already ;)

Mine went at 85,000. First a gearbox malfunction (clutch too hot), soon after lost 1, 3, 5, and 7th. New box and Mech unit...still waiting for the outcome from the warranty company. If you do go extended warranty, check it's had the services within 1000 miles or one month of each interval, otherwise forget them fixing it. Whoever gets mine next, gets the comfort of a new box and mech unit good for another 85k though !!

2015 models have EU6 engine, slightly more economical. I would recommend drive select, but no great issue, not tried sports diff - not that many around and can go wrong, seats are a matter of personal preference - I like the Alcantara of the standard S4 seats, B8.5 optional sat nav has full postcodes. Mines still in warrantee, but will extend to ensure gearbox is covered. B&O sound system is good.

Sat nav is a good point actually, i wouldn't touch one without sat nav, can't imagine many people willing to pay a decent amount for the car in a few years time if it doesn't even have sat nav which is standard on any middle of the range car these days

Can any recommend a warranty provider or is Audi the best. My car has lapsed it's six months ago. Thanks

S4 has one of the most tunable engines going which is a bonus! Rs4 power for a 400 quid remap..

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

I am thinking about one of those, but does the stronic need a remap too.

Sat nav is a good point actually, i wouldn't touch one without sat nav, can't imagine many people willing to pay a decent amount for the car in a few years time if it doesn't even have sat nav which is standard on any middle of the range car these days

I'll politely agree to disagree with you on this one. I didn't spec it, am not worried about future resale value, don't miss it and am happy to use my phone. :)

http://money.cnn.com/2016/10/10/autos/car-navigation-frustration/index.html

Reactions: Bristle Hound and Hear-Vier
I am thinking about one of those, but does the stronic need a remap too.

I have revo stage 1 and the stronic remap on my 2012 S4 Avant, purchased car with it. From my understanding it revs higher in S mode, changes up at 7500rpm, on change down the auto blip of the throttle is awesome, makes me smile every time. In manual I think it will hit the limiter so you need to change up (stand to be corrected). I also have a Porsche 911 (996) manual Carrera 2 3.6 which is comparable to the E46 M3, seriously thinking of selling as the S4 is so quick and torquey and I can still get 34mpg! Take it you have checked out the Chris Harris video S4 V RS4?

Reactions: Joe3.0tdi and scotty76
Yes love that video. Tell me in manual does yours change gear automatically when it reaches the limiter. So it is basically still in auto. In my golf it just stays in that gear when the limiter is reached. Thanks

Yes love that video. Tell me in manual does yours change gear automatically when it reaches the limiter. So it is basically still in auto. In my golf it just stays in that gear when the limiter is reached. Thanks

On a standard car that's what happens, it changes up at the red line which is great for overtaking. I believe gearbox remap can change this.

I need to check. I know my old 2.0 TFsi stronic would change up but not sure with the S4 with stronic remap. Will try tomorrow. Must admit I tend to just use normal mode and sport mode once and a while.

I am the same. I very rare use manual. Just become lazy

I'm debating whether to go in the other direction and go back to RWD, perhaps into an M235i or new M240i. I really like the S4 as a do it all daily car and I suspect over the winter I'll probably start to appreciate it more once again, but as a drivers car I find it a bit too competent for it's own good most of the time. Some cars have high limits of grip but can still be entertaining and playful under that limit but even though mine's got the Sport Diff and ADS I find it really only comes alive on a twisty A-Road when speeds are getting rather silly, which in the conjested South East means very limited opportunities to enjoy it in that way. Nailing it off the line and straight lines in general are always good fun though so if its predominently straight line performance you're after I think you'll find it a step up from the M3 as there's a lot more midrange power and the S-Tronic makes it feel even quicker than it already is. For me though having come from a BMW 130i, although the S4 is better in almost every quantitive measurement you could think of (speed, grip, comfort, space, equipment, build quality etc) it just hasn't really tugged at the heartstrings like I thought it might do which is a shame.

Have to agree with the above.
S tronic gearbox robs some of the fun and even adding more power doesn't bring the involvement back. It's much like playing a computer game!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Can any recommend a warranty provider or is Audi the best. My car has lapsed it's six months ago. Thanks

I'm still in two minds about getting warranty because of the above comments about possibly changing and also becase I've had the car 18 months now and it's been faultless, but if I decide to keep it I'll probably get a warranty. Having been let down by Warranty Direct before and put off by Audi's prices, the one I find most interesting is ALA warranty (https://www.ala.co.uk/warranty/). Their prices blow Audi warranty and Warranty Direct out of the water at under £400 annual for full main dealer hourly rates including breakdown cover and although the proof is in the pudding with regards to claims, they have a very good reputation in the GAP insurance market and there was nothing scary in the policy exclusions that I could see, no mention of anything gearbox related being excluded so should be good for covering any S-Tronic woes unlike some.

I'm still in two minds about getting warranty because of the above comments about possibly changing and also becase I've had the car 18 months now and it's been faultless, but if I decide to keep it I'll probably get a warranty. Having been let down by Warranty Direct before and put off by Audi's prices, the one I find most interesting is ALA warranty (https://www.ala.co.uk/warranty/). Their prices blow Audi warranty and Warranty Direct out of the water at under £400 annual for full main dealer hourly rates including breakdown cover and although the proof is in the pudding with regards to claims, they have a very good reputation in the GAP insurance market and there was nothing scary in the policy exclusions that I could see, no mention of anything gearbox related being excluded so should be good for covering any S-Tronic woes unlike some.

Check specifically. Wear and tear things like clutch is 2k. Mechatronic is 2k more or less too.

Thanks locoblade

Check specifically. Wear and tear things like clutch is 2k. Mechatronic is 2k more or less too.

Yep agree to check carefully before spending the cash as I haven't got to that stage yet, but it does say the following regarding wear and tear:

Wear and Tear
Unlike some extended warranties which do not cover wear and tear, charge an extra premium for doing so or limit a payout on wear and tear until after 90 days, ALA Warranty will cover for wear and tear after just 30 days or 1000 miles.

I'll politely agree to disagree with you on this one. I didn't spec it, am not worried about future resale value, don't miss it and am happy to use my phone. :)

http://money.cnn.com/2016/10/10/autos/car-navigation-frustration/index.html

can imagine it's each to their own to some extent, when i was looking i wouldn't even think of going to look at a car if it didn't have sat-nav, i couldn't beleive it wasn't standard for a car that is susposed to be high up the range. I prefer having it all intergrated in to the car rather than relying on my phone. Although considering how expensive all the updates etc are i can see the advantages of using your phone for the sat-nav.

Reactions: scotty76
I'm debating whether to go in the other direction and go back to RWD, perhaps into an M235i or new M240i. I really like the S4 as a do it all daily car and I suspect over the winter I'll probably start to appreciate it more once again, but as a drivers car I find it a bit too competent for it's own good most of the time. Some cars have high limits of grip but can still be entertaining and playful under that limit but even though mine's got the Sport Diff and ADS I find it really only comes alive on a twisty A-Road when speeds are getting rather silly, which in the conjested South East means very limited opportunities to enjoy it in that way. Nailing it off the line and straight lines in general are always good fun though so if its predominently straight line performance you're after I think you'll find it a step up from the M3 as there's a lot more midrange power and the S-Tronic makes it feel even quicker than it already is. For me though having come from a BMW 130i, although the S4 is better in almost every quantitive measurement you could think of (speed, grip, comfort, space, equipment, build quality etc) it just hasn't really tugged at the heartstrings like I thought it might do which is a shame.

Oh - some painful truths there! Many of my journeys which include sections of open A-road are so spoiled by having to wait behind a queue of cars doing 40mph in a 60 zone (and then see them disappear into the distance when it changes to a 30 zone because I am the only one who respects it!). But having ended up in hospital after spinning off a road in a Scooby, I appreciate my S5 with PROPER AWD and sports diff. Something like an M3 may be more fun but I have a family and can't go risking my life again :(

There are so many things to love about the S4, but in a strange way, one of the biggest for me is what it's like when you're not caning it. This really is a car that will cosset you when you don't want to drive at ten tenths, but just want to cover the ground.

Reactions: scotty76
Cheers for the replies !

There are so many things to love about the S4, but in a strange way, one of the biggest for me is what it's like when you're not caning it. This really is a car that will cosset you when you don't want to drive at ten tenths, but just want to cover the ground.

This is one of the reasons I'm thinking of a change. I really miss the interior of my B8 and the way it beahaved when driving normally...

My only real concern is that I'm going to kick myself in a few years time when the E46 M3's are worth a load more and the S4 has dropped half its value :s

Are E46 M3 going up in value?

Apparently so ...
Tuck the m3 away for sunny weekends and get an S4!

I have done that with my 911 but the S4 is so good at doing everything, the Porsche will probably go!

I agree keep it if it appreciating. I was looking for a 911 but bought the S4 after a spin in my mates remapped avant.

I agree keep it if it appreciating. I was looking for a 911 but bought the S4 after a spin in my mates remapped avant.

Got the 911 first then the re-mapped S4, hence why I will prob sell the 911.

You have a b8 or 8.5

You have a b8 or 8.5

8.5 2012 in red with Sports seats. Need some updated photos as I have added Supercharged badges and my private plate!
DSC_0007_5_zpsiftvvswx.jpg
[/URL]

Nice I have a 2013 8.5 super sports too. I love them. Black pearl paint

can imagine it's each to their own to some extent, when i was looking i wouldn't even think of going to look at a car if it didn't have sat-nav, i couldn't beleive it wasn't standard for a car that is susposed to be high up the range. I prefer having it all intergrated in to the car rather than relying on my phone. Although considering how expensive all the updates etc are i can see the advantages of using your phone for the sat-nav.
I absolutely understand and respect that. Personally a £1200 option vs a £15 app with better traffic data (a must for me) is a no brainer.

Nice I have a 2013 8.5 super sports too. I love them. Black pearl paint

Only had it an hour and got my first speeding ticket in 7 years. Luckily I had the option of a speed awareness course!

Received 10205277915928113
Received 10205277917408150

Reactions: scotty76 and ianv5

Yep, its one of the reasons I'm in two minds about changing to be honest, when it's hammering down or on a dark winter night and you just want to get get home with minimal fuss or worry it's a brilliant car. However, the apparent drawback to being so cosseting and so competent at normal speeds is the masking of feedback / interaction with the tyres and chassis unless you're going a lot quicker.

My wife has a SEAT Leon FR estate with the 150bhp 1.4 ACT engine as our family wagon which is nippy in a straight line but nothing more, certainly on paper nothing to get an enthusiast driver excited. I drive that at weekends with the family on board very cautiously at normal road speeds probably never more than 50-60% of it's hard driven acceleration and cornering abilities yet in many ways I enjoy driving that more simply because there's still feel and feedback from the steering and chassis, even at those speeds. It's nowhere near losing grip or traction but it feels light, responsive and more up on it's toes providing information about the amount of grip available at all times. The S4 at similar speeds feels like it weighs about 5 tons, is superglued to the tarmac and intent on giving you the silent treatment until you're prepared to stir it into life at much higher velocity!

Oh - some painful truths there! Many of my journeys which include sections of open A-road are so spoiled by having to wait behind a queue of cars doing 40mph in a 60 zone (and then see them disappear into the distance when it changes to a 30 zone because I am the only one who respects it!). But having ended up in hospital after spinning off a road in a Scooby, I appreciate my S5 with PROPER AWD and sports diff. Something like an M3 may be more fun but I have a family and can't go risking my life again :(

Yep my commute to work is similar, mostly consists of country A roads full of numpties that seem to be at 45mph on cruise control regardless of whether it's NSL or a built up 30 zone.

I'm not someone who gets thrills from taking big risks on the road either though and its actually my low appetite for risk making me think of changing. I can certainly see why the S4/5 appeals to those who want to get from A to B quickly as safely as possible, but for me I'd rather have a car with less outright cross country ability that keeps me more engaged even when driving at normal road driving on the commute etc, and ultimately something I can enjoy stretching it's legs in the twisties at slower, safer speeds when I do get the chance to drive a bit harder. I'm not yet sure if the M235i/240i is a car that will give me that so I'll make sure I get a good test drive or two first, but the ingredients and reviews suggest it might be.
:beercheers: :)

Last edited: