18" wheels

bqik

Reaction score
Hello,

I just saw one post about this , and no real info.

Do you know if it is possible to fit 18" wheels for the RS3?

Thanks

Bqik

Probably but why? I had the discussion also approx 1 year ago when I was seeking for winter wheels but its pointless because the car has 19" as standard.

YES for the 8P RS3 (225/40 R18 - see photo) so check your 8V RS3 tyre pressure label and see what is says:

OUR RS3 tyre pressures

Last edited:
Reactions: Scottyg
Do you know if it is possible to fit 18" wheels for the RS3?
Bqik

No.
With the 19" wheel there is about ⅜" clearance between the outer edge of the caliper and wheel. To fit 18" wheels, you will need at least ⅝" clearance.

Looked at mine today and there isn't anything about 18" only 19", so little difference there between 8P and 8V.

Reactions: 45bvtc
Looked at mine today and there isn't anything about 18" only 19", so little difference there between 8P and 8V.

An interesting thought here: the first 8P RS3 owner that I'm aware of that installed the 8V 8-pot front brake calipers onto his 8P RS3 with 8.1/2" J Rotor wheels claimed that he had fractionally more clearance between caliper and inner wheel rim than with the original 4-pot calipers...

Just sayin. I ain't got an 8V RS3 nor do I want one but it'd be interesting if someone would trial-fit an 18-inch wheel (I have 18-inch wheels on my TT but not the 8V caliper) to check...

An interesting thought here: the first 8P RS3 owner that I'm aware of that installed the 8V 8-pot front brake calipers onto his 8P RS3 with 8.1/2" J Rotor wheels claimed that he had fractionally more clearance between caliper and inner wheel rim than with the original 4-pot calipers...

Just sayin. I ain't got an 8V RS3 nor do I want one but it'd be interesting if someone would trial-fit an 18-inch wheel (I have 18-inch wheels on my TT but not the 8V caliper) to check...

I think you can ask any dealer if they have any wheels that you can borrow just to check it? Usually they have loads of different wheels to pick from and especially when you just want to confirm it. I can also confirm that of course offset has big difference how its gonna work or not. My winter wheels with less offset (44 vs 49 mm) than oem are aftermarket RS look alike and works perfectly with 3mm spacers to get the wheel little out to pass calipers, don't know it helps?

I think you can ask any dealer if they have any wheels that you can borrow just to check it? Usually they have loads of different wheels to pick from and especially when you just want to confirm it. I can also confirm that of course offset has big difference how its gonna work or not. My winter wheels with less offset (44 vs 49 mm) than oem are aftermarket RS look alike and works perfectly with 3mm spacers to get the wheel little out to pass calipers, don't know it helps?

Just a thought, Rocketer; I CHECKED my own 8P RS3 today and the caliper to rim clearance was 15.2mm or near enough 19/32" in old money - and I did then use a 19/32" dia. drill to double check. And the 8P RS3 WILL take an 18-inch rim with caliper clearance. So maybe you could check the caliper to rim clearance of your 8V RS3 and let that provide a useful guide.

The ET and/or rim profile of any other wheel to provide caliper clearance is of course an entirely different matter...

Do you Guys not read the thread, or is there a vague hope that the tooth fairy will pop out and make it all good?
I have, for the OP, measured the clearance already. It is a clear ⅜" - (or, in fact a tight ½"). He will not successfully take an 18" wheel, or if he did, it will be perilously close to the caliper with less than a 1mm clearance. Not to design standards for a road car that must be able to drive on gravelled roads which requires a good ½" clearance.
So it is different on an 8P. Maybe compare the two hubs/caliper mountings for the reason...

Just for info the. Rs4 b7 which ran the same brake setup and size ran 18" winter wheels.

Hal just because the standard rotor only has that clearance doesn't mean the barrels on other 18 inch are the same and therefore could have a diff profile and fit......

One thing for sure is that aftermarket always are looking after replacing things with their own beacause they want to sell. What I also understood was that there are rims which will fit our RS 8V and is only 18", no doubt about that and I got also names of the brand so it exists but I didn't want to use a smaller size than oem.

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3
hello,

thanks for the answers and to Hal Adams for measuring it.

I asked if it was possible to fit 18" rims because I have 6 18" slicks at home.
regards

I'd say it's possible just need to be careful with what ones clear the caliper