Oil Pressure 1.8T Sport AEB

norad97

Reaction score
I while back I posted about my concerns on my AEB with 191,000 miles, used every day and runs well.
So I decided to install an Oil pressure gauge this week end, I bought a VDO gauge white faced and fitted the sender via an adaptor by moving the oil pressure
switch, all good and no leaks.
Wired it all up, started the car and got a reading so all good.
the next morning from cold, I started the car, the oil pressure gauge would only reach 40psi,
So went for a drive to warm it up, the idle pressure was about 13psi and when I went driving the gauge would only go to 40psi and would not go over that.
So it looks like I'm ready for a pump replacement, if I can believe the readings, as I cannot understand why the gauge will not go over 40psi?

An old fashioned, rough rule of thumb is to expect 10 psi for every 1000 rpm. I've heard some people say that you only need 5 psi to lubricate an engine. What pressure you were expecting?

a healthy engine, when hot should produce 5 bar by 2500-3000rpm, and go on to produce a maximum of around 6 to 7 bar.

At idle, you should have a minimum of 1 bar.

When cold, you'll usually see 5-6bar at idle.

Usually tired oil pumps will struggle at idle, perhaps producing 0.5bar and might need 5000rpm or more to reach 5 bar.

Thanks for your comments, so now what oil pump do I buy???
I can get a Febi pump for under £100, or a genuine one for £260.00, anyone used none Audi pumps or what do you recommend
for AEB engine.

I ran a topran oil pump as did byzan, ive heard storys on here of the febi pumps failing wether this true or not im not sure and unsure if this has been rectified or not.

I thought Topran was cheap made Chinese parts with just a German name, does anyone know about the Febi pump problems?
or any recordation's on pumps that have been fitted without failures please.

Topran in mine currently, performing better than the expensive KS one i removed. I don't see the figures quoted by Aragorn though. on 10w50 I see 70 psi at 3k revs fully warmed up and 22 psi at idle

What is KS manufacture, did it fail that's why you changed it? does anyone know who makes the Audi pumps?
I cannot get near those figures either, warm up idle about 20psi, warm up 3k about 50psi, warm normal driving about 40psi,
but cold start up about 50psi cant get the gauge to go above this?

It didnt fail, I was told i had oil pressure issues by a turbo manufacturer as i had another failure from them. They blamed oil pressure so I changed everything, it made a very marginal difference which may have been due to the oil change tbh Replacement turbo working fine and the KobelSchmidt pump put away as a known working unit, just in case.

Cold idle is about 90 PSI up to 100 when driving off . Hot it's 22 PSI and 70 PSI at 3k HOT raisin to around 80 at 5 k ish