how long dose your tdi take to warm up

tony mc

Reaction score
as above, mines a 140 tdi and takes for ever when its cold, can i solve this ??? i work 6 miles from home and this morning it just hit 90 on the temp gauge as i pulled into the car park at work, so its reminded me that it has been like this coming up 3 years now its a ball ache in winter.

i know 6 miles is'nt a huge drive but it takes 15/20 depending on traffic, and this morning was the first real good frost round here, i mean come on, i'm sat in a hi spec motor looking cool as you like freezing my nuts off all the way to work its almost primitive.

i'm not a fan of running it on the drive with the spare key and the door locked either, there's lots of dodgy folk round here would love a free a4 avant

cold **** rant over lol.

About the same pal to get warm, but I push the windscreen button and set the temp up to HI and the electric heater warms the cabin with a few minutes, it's not hot but it's warmer. After about 10 minutes it's rather toasty and the engine is still showing at about a 1/4 of the way up.

Only us diesel owners have this as the petrols warm up faster.

About 3 miles once i join the motorway on ramp.

As said already, windscreen heat button is the key. Mine is always set a nice 18c throughout winter, optimum room temperature.

Yeh looks I'll ave to stay with the leccy window heater and my woolly hats to keep my baldy napper warm

Just make sure it's on the hottest setting Tony as I find it works better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dont worry carl it'll be getting hammered next time its cold, normally only use it to defrost/demist the screen then its off and so am i,

Normally i just leave it till up to temp before the heaters go on dont know why lol ???

If you can run a 240v extension to the car how about a engine pre heater?
Basically just heats the coolant and circulates it so it's warm before you even start the engine. Popular in Scandinavian countries, better for the longevity of the engine and can be had for less than £100 quid.
Or if you're feeling flush how about a Webasto or Eberspacher diesel heater A lot more ££ but they are superb. I've got one in my work Land Rover, instant heat so no more deicing or steamy windows and I can dry my wet gear in the back. It's runs without the engine and its on a timer so don't even have to go out to switch it on!!
I'm not sure about Audi but many manufacturers offer them as a fit factory option although I think the factory ones generally pre heat the coolant and use the cars blower to pre heat the car, mine works independently and just blows the hot air out itself through ducts to various bits of my van.

Reactions: tony mc
A lot of larger VAG cars have pre heaters as options but they tend to be expensive and not very often specified. Not so much need for them.
This is the time of the year when all these threads start up from diesel owners about poor economy, length of time to warm up , poor starting etc.
Diesels are a lot more thermally efficient than petrols so there is a lot less waste heat. The 3.0 TDI engine is a big piece of metal to warm up and quite often when it gets below zero my car doesn't hit 90 on the gauge after the10 mile trip to work or back.
If you turn the heater up full In the car, the engine takes even longer to warm up fully. As a large amount of heat is removed from the engine to heat the interior of the car.

glad its not a 3.0 then lol, never get any other issues that bother me when its cold desertstorm, might just risk running on the drive with the spare key if it gets Baltic

I let mine idle for 10 mins with demist on, then it's half-decent when I get in .

I forgot to post this yesterday Tony....went out in mine and was only doing 25mph on average with the demister on and temp set to HI and I had luke warm air within 2 1/2 minutes and within 7 minutes the cabin was nice and warm yet the needle had only risen about 1.5mm above the min mark on the temp gauge, once it hit 10 minutes it was getting a little too warm.

Reactions: tony mc