Test drive on Saturday

PR.

Reaction score
Hi, I've been lurking the last few months and what started off with me looking at the A3 Facelift has ended up with me considering pulling the trigger on an A4!

I'm not a boy racer, but I do like my gadgets, and the A4 offers far far too many!

Currently looking at the S-Line 190 TFSI with S-Tronic, then the following options:

19" 5 V Spoke Alloys
Seats - Black Alcantara
Technology Pack
Comfort & Sound Pack
Light & Vision Pack
Heated Front Seats
Extended Interior Upholstery Pack
Inlays - Black Piano
Flat Bottomed steering wheel
Door Mirrors - Memory, Auto Dimming, Heated, and Folding
Seats - Electric Adjustable Front Seats with Memory Function
Driver Assistance Pack - Tour
Hill Hold Assist
Parking Assistance Pack Advanced
Adaptive sport suspension
Audi Warranty 4 years

Obviously a lot of these front load the PCP deal pushing the price up, and I've considered dropping things like the mirrors/memory seats, and going down to the 18" wheels, perhaps losing the parking assistance pack, but then I'm left thinking if I'm paying the premium of getting a new car, what's the point in not getting what you want!? Quote I've got is £356pm over 32 months with £10.5k deposit as I really wanted to keep the monthly costs down.

Unfortunately the dealer doesn't have a 190 TFSI to test drive which is a bit annoying as my current car a mk3 Seat Leon FR 184TDI is obviously a smaller/lighter car compared to the A4 and I worry the A4 will feel slow/sluggish in comparison?

Also still undecided on the colour, I like the Daytona Grey but feel it's a bit 'corporate', and this car's for me! All my previous cars have been grey/silver/black apart from my current Seat Leon which I bought in the standard red, like the colour but it was less than 2 weeks before I had a couple of nasty stone chips on the bonnet, and they show pretty clearly. so also considering the Glacier White or the Matador Red, Tango Red isn't bad either.

Decisions, decisions!

Yup, one of the more interesting things about purchasing an Audi is the options, and what you can afford because it quickly mounts up. Your deal is roughly similar to mine only I put in £8.5, plus the dealer contribution of £2.5 and I pay £335 over three years. I haven't driven mine much but I can assure you the engine is smooth, refined and has enough power, however I haven't really opened it up yet.

Loving the Matador Red colour on my car - but agree with bonnet chips! As for speed - having come from a Golf MK7 150TDI to the 190TFSI it feel much more capable / rapid. Agree all the toys are tempting and I put way too much time into spreadsheets working it into my budget!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hadn't really considered Matador Red until I saw yours, it really shows up well in the sun!

Got plenty of spreadsheets on the go with specs, monthly costs, I do like to do my research! :)

Glad to hear the 190 is nippy.

Has anyone got the dynamic sport suspension is there really a significant difference between the sport/comfort?

One thing I have noticed is that the mpg on mine is now around 31 whereas the a3 1.4tfsi was 10mpg better. Early days though and still getting acustomed to the engine and the stronic...

I'm getting 43 average, and 50 on a driver assisted motorway run at the moment, which I am pleased with for a new engine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You probably will as I got 39mpg on 'A' roads. I am talking urban and comparing it with the same roads my A3 used. On a run on motorways my A3 could easily get 55mpg. I am not expecting the same but 35-36mpg would be nice.

After 2000 miles my long term memory figure on the MMI is 37 mpg. I check my consumption at each fill-up and that tallies with the MMI figure. I was lucky to test drive the 2 litre petrol before I decided to buy one and the long term memory figure on the MMI of that car was also 37. Some will achieve better than that and some worse, but I'm accepting it as the average for the car. I don't take a great deal of notice of the MMI for individual journeys, but I've supposedly achieved 55 on a forced maximum 50 mph motorway stretch over 12 miles, a journey I undertake frequently.

I'm 1300 miles in and getting 44.2 MPG.
There are no motorways or duel carriageways around here so I'm very impressed with that figure.

I was hoping the 190 would do 50 mpg average.

Is the 150 way more economical then?

Oh wait, petrol ! D'oh !

How are you measuring that 44.2 mpg figure, Kestrel?
Well, its what the computer is telling me.
May be a little on the optimistic side but I'm still very happy with the economy.

Wow - that's impressive. I'm going to have to improve my driving style!
Well, I think one of the reasons I'm getting good figures is because, as I said above, there are no motorways or even duel carriageways around here so no possibility of high speeds. I can occasionally find a 60pmh road but its mainly 30, 40 and 50.
Hope you find a way to improve your figures.

I think, with stronic, if you drive mainly around town in start/stop traffic, the mpg will suffer more then it will with a manual, this I feel is my issue, plus the steep hills around where I live and my short commute to work. When I came back from the dealership on 'A' roads I was averaging 38mpg so I know the engine is capable of more. It is something I thought might happen but maybe when I get used to the car a bit more, and things loosen up, it might improve a tad..

Back from the test drive, as the salesman advised it was a TDI rather than TFSI though he did have a TFSI A4 Allroad I could have tried however it having a higher ride height and being a Quattro I felt the TDI would be a closer match.

First impression was it was so so quiet, considering it's a diesel you could barely hear it! Obvious it was much more refined than my Seat Leon. Automatic gearbox was great, more control than I expected and it only took two or three times of my left flailing around trying to find a non-existant clutch pedal!

My only slight concern was that the salesman said that if I decided to go ahead they would need a larger deposit than the £1400 cash I was going to add on top of the part exchange. His reasoning was that because of the number of extras they'd struggle to resell the car if I changed my mind, has anyone else who ordered a number of options had this?

Back from the test drive, as the salesman advised it was a TDI rather than TFSI though he did have a TFSI A4 Allroad I could have tried however it having a higher ride height and being a Quattro I felt the TDI would be a closer match.

First impression was it was so so quiet, considering it's a diesel you could barely hear it! Obvious it was much more refined than my Seat Leon. Automatic gearbox was great, more control than I expected and it only took two or three times of my left flailing around trying to find a non-existant clutch pedal!

My only slight concern was that the salesman said that if I decided to go ahead they would need a larger deposit than the £1400 cash I was going to add on top of the part exchange. His reasoning was that because of the number of extras they'd struggle to resell the car if I changed my mind, has anyone else who ordered a number of options had this?
Yes, thats quite normal.