MOT fail

Doug Packman

Reaction score
Hi I have an A3 sportback 2.0tdi 2007 that has just failed the MOT on" rear brakes not increasing at the same rates", the tester showed me when the car was in the rollers that sometimes the L/H/R brake pressure drops away when applying the brakes whilst the R/H/R remains constant, when i say sometimes he had to repeat the test about three times before the fault showed up on the rollers? Anyone experienced this before?
Just so that I am clear the car failed before this retest on R/H/R brake excessive bind, and only needed the caliper piston working in and out a few times to sort this, the caliper is in good condition and the tester was happy with this repair.

I had to have new Calipers both sides on the rear of my S3 a few months ago when I replaced the discs and pads all around due to seizing pistons in the calipers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not adverse to fitting a new caliper if its needed , but the symptom doesn't point towards a seized caliper, a seized caliper would be binding all the time not work fine 3 out of 4 times then on the forth pedal press suddenly drop pressure whilst maintaining pedal position!