Polisher heads and compounds for beginner

Mat196

Reaction score
I have always hand polished my car just basic super resin or autosmart topaz.
However I am wanting to do a bit of correction and buffing out minor scratches and swirl marks ect to get the paintwork back to a mint condition.
I bought this chorldess polisher on offer and also because I already have milwaukee batteries for other tools. I have no idea what pads I need or compounds/ polishes I need to even get the results I want.
Any comments to point me in the right direction are welcome, cheers!

This is an expansive topic, and the answer is largely "well it depends".

I am surprised Bristlehound hasn't already directed to Detailing World, which is an excellent resource for everything, and I do mean everything detailing. There are how to sections on DW that will explain washing, compounding/polishing, and sealing better than i ever could, and multiple resources on youtube with how-to's and explanations, you just have to be careful and realise that any resource on the internet is opinion, and might not suit everyone.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/index.php

with regards to your polisher, it's impossible to make any kinds of recommendations until I/we know what type it is, is it a rotary?, is it a dual action?, and what condition your paint is in in the first instance, does it have minor swirls?, how many scratches does it have? and how deep are they?, has the paint been polished/compounded already? what type of finish are you looking to get?

As I found out when i first started detailing there is a lot more to it that just attacking the car with polisher and seeing how you get on, its time consuming and if done correctly can be expensive in terms of gear and products needed.

Sorry for being vague, but like I said, it's a massive topic, and would be remiss of any one of us to begin to advise you until we know what you have and what you want.