Facelift paddle shifters a bit meh ?

E S Blofeld

Reaction score
I'm loving my new facelift S3. So much better than my Golf R for what I want. Build quality is on another level and I know most journeys bang on about the R but for daily use the S3 seems a much better car in my book.

One thing that is a little cheap on it are the new plain black paddle shifters. I prefer the ones on the pre-facelift cars. Looking at the photos online I think these could be changed for the pre-facelift ones. Has anybody done it? Any thoughts folks ?

Pictures below (ignore the 'fit' and 'can not fit' text it's just to show the two options side by side)

Photos of the rear look the same:

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Yes I've done it.

MY 15 S3 and RS3 have the larger elephant ear shifter and MY 16 and F/L have the shorter stubbier one which I fitted to mine. Takes about half hour.

Reactions: BodegaBay, Simon L, Jassyo06 and 1 other person
Great thanks for the reply. So what part number is it?

I make it this : 8V0951523XHA

Also where is the best place to order from and how much are they?

Great thanks for the reply. So what part number is it?

I make it this : 8V0951523XHA

Also where is the best place to order from and how much are they?

Part numbers can be seen in the link above. Not sure on prices as I went the other way and fitted the shorter ones they're a bit more precise feeling when operating and more subtle looking.

Reactions: pburv
I just had a look through your link / thread. Thanks very much. Really helpful. What did you do with the old ones. Are you selling them?

Reactions: Rob2k68
I just had a look through your link / thread. Thanks very much. Really helpful. What did you do with the old ones. Are you selling them?

You're welcome ;o)

That was some time back, old ones sold for £100.

Reactions: pburv and Jassyo06
Reactions: TDI-line, Daytonapig, pburv and 1 other person
Thanks. You saved me a lot of grief. I almost ordered from them but had a bad gut feeling about their site (terrible english and translation throughout) so decided to have lunch and give it some thought. Just came back and saw your post !

Reactions: Simon L, pburv and Rob2k68
And I just happened to have a FL steering wheel taken apart right now, and took the paddles out quick and compared with @Rob2k68 Nope, they're totally different, you'll need the one from the upcoming RS3 sedan if you really want to change it. But personally, I like it better than the one on my PFL, it's just too loud and busy in there, the shorter and all black actually made it look more classy IMHO...

IMG 0769
PA1

Reactions: pburv and Rob2k68
I'll leave it then. Thanks.

Guess I'll have to order the RS3 then !!!

Hope they do a new RS3 sportback, not a big fan of the new sedan RS3.

Reactions: Simon L, pburv and Rob2k68
And I just happened to have a FL steering wheel taken apart right now, and took the paddles out quick and compared with @Rob2k68 Nope, they're totally different, you'll need the one from the upcoming RS3 sedan if you really want to change it. But personally, I like it better than the one on my PFL, it's just too loud and busy in there, the shorter and all black actually made it look more classy IMHO...

View attachment 109580 View attachment 109581

Good spot !! 8W0 is the F/L prefix so for whatever reason not interchangeable.

Reactions: Simon L and pburv
Hmm, my VW GLI has the small black paddles and I really liked the larger chrome paddles on my test drive S3. This is a bummer as looking at photos of North American facelifts they have the small paddles also.

There are plenty on FleeBay.

Just search for Audi DSG Paddles. You may have to look through until the larger paddles show up, as there is a mix of old and new style.

About £100 a set.