Facelift MMI hints and tips please

DorsetGuy

Reaction score
Website
www.youparkandfly.co.uk
I do technology, well at least I thought I did! Four years in and just as my current Golf about to make way for an S3 am still not sure on how the Golf Infotainment system really works.

My S3 arriving early December with B&O but without the tech pack. Generally play music via Apple Music / iPhone or DAB. Navigation from Google Maps (company phone no concerns on data usage) So am hoping CarPlay will work for me, although new to that and struggling to find much out.

Any hints and tips or reference sources then much appreciated. Thanks

I do technology, well at least I thought I did! Four years in and just as my current Golf about to make way for an S3 am still not sure on how the Golf Infotainment system really works.

My S3 arriving early December with B&O but without the tech pack. Generally play music via Apple Music / iPhone or DAB. Navigation from Google Maps (company phone no concerns on data usage) So am hoping CarPlay will work for me, although new to that and struggling to find much out.

Any hints and tips or reference sources then much appreciated. Thanks

The audi system is very intuitive and very user friendly IMO, I have been using it for years in various cars and never had any issues.

My only advice is, do not use Car Play. I used it on my new S3, used with my iPhone the music streaming quality was horrendous. Very strange, the speaker protection were kicking in at half volume and it sounded horrendous. One thing I hated with the car play, was that there was no 'hot' button to get to it. So say for example when I would rotate to look at the sat nav, to get back to make a phonecall or change a track I would have to go back to the main menu, scroll down to car play and go all the way back through the app sub menus again.. nightmare.

I highly recommend just using the Media USB / Audi Telephone programs. The sound quality is superb, much, much happier. Plus, you get to flick the button to change between media, radio, telephone and navigation as many times as you want without having to take your eyes off the road for a minute to navigate back through.
The onl benefit of car play, is for people who use Spotify which it recognises as an app. But, at the sacrifice of all sound quality.

I'm a bit overwhelmed with the MMI as well as I've gone from a cassette aux cable to all of this & only just got the car last week!

I've noticed with CarPlay that you need to connect it via USB for it to start. It's not 100% reliable. For instance I've connected my iPhone twice and it recognises what's on Spotify but doesn't play even though phone signal is fine. I've had to reconnect & when I do it works? Also don't know why CarPlay doesn't work off Bluetooth? Sound quality is fine to me when it's working. As far as I'm aware you need to use CarPlay for google maps to appear on MMI.

I'm a bit overwhelmed with the MMI as well as I've gone from a cassette aux cable to all of this & only just got the car last week!

I've noticed with CarPlay that you need to connect it via USB for it to start. It's not 100% reliable. For instance I've connected my iPhone twice and it recognises what's on Spotify but doesn't play even though phone signal is fine. I've had to reconnect & when I do it works? Also don't know why CarPlay doesn't work off Bluetooth? Sound quality is fine to me when it's working. As far as I'm aware you need to use CarPlay for google maps to appear on MMI.

It has to be hard wired just due to the amount of data being transferred, in an effort to make it more reliable. It's not a bad thing, your phone is always charged. But, it's a pain that the car odesnt revert to Bluetooth hands free when it isn't connected. Another reason I've stopped using Car Play, it wasn't refined enough yet.
If the car sees the phone but doesn't play, try making sure the app is 'playing' on the phones end.

If you have the technology package, the navigation is google maps based itself.
If you don't, it's an Audi SD card which the maps run off and for as long as you have the trial data package (if you choose to continue it) you can search via Google for a destination, but the maps are Audi.

Reactions: Darroch