8p7 A3 cabriolet bcm compatible with...?

imagineero

Reaction score
ive just bought an 09 a3 cabrio, it's an 8p7 and has been sitting in storage for some years. Mostly seems good, very low mileage but indicators, wipers, flashers and high/low beam not working. No blown fuses so looks like probable culprit is bcm/ccm. Going to have a dig around the car and see if I can find where the module is buried this week. A quick question if anyone happens to know - are all the bcms/ccms compatible or did the cabrio have one that's specific to it? Hoping to pickup a used unit from a non cabrio to replace it

Module is located the steering wheel cowel on the right side of the wheel. The module you need depends on options you have installed (high line or lowline etc). Best to look at the module and see the version number plus the hardware/software code.

Thanks for the reply, have been searching for a few hours but not found it yet. Did you mean under the panels covering the steering column? It might be worth noting I'm in Australia and have a RHD 2009 a3 cabrio and it's the base model (attraction). Have pulled the carpet partially back on both driver and passenger side, and also checked behind the plastic covers on the steering column as well as under the spare in the trunk but haven't found anything yet. May have to take more drastic measures. Have also read it's sometimes under the drivers seat which requires removal of the seat and carpet?

Any and all advice appreciated

Right, found it. 8P0 907 279 N. Is the "n" the version/software code? Does that give me enough information to know which modules will be compatible?

If you have N today I would replace it with another N module. As far as I remember the N model supports everything and is a high-end module.

There are other high-end modules but they changed after 2008 facelift so I would go for same module. Just to be sure it is a direct swap!

Thanks for the help. I noticed some peculiarities today. It's far from conclusive, but it seems that if I take off the cover panel and disconnect the switches on it (headlight switch, dimmer switch, headlight tilt switch and one integer button I don't know the function of) the bcm resets and everything works as it ought to. If I leave the ignition in the "on" position, everything will keep working for seemingly an endless amount of time. If I actually start the car, some functions of the bcm seem to "trip" after a consistent repeatable interval of 6-7 seconds. I haven't got an exhaustive list of which functions I lose, but it seems it's the indicators (hazards still work), wipers, steering wheel radio controls, hi/low beam (headlights still work). If I turn the car off and wait a few seconds, it resets and all will work again forever if in on position or trip again if car is started after 6-7 seconds. This is all with the cover panel switches not connected

An oddity is that the cover panel switches seem to have some effect on it. If they're connected and the bcm trips, it won't ever reset no matter how many times you turn it off/on, or how long you wait. You need to disconnect those switches to get a reset. But they don't cause the trip by themselves, if you disconnect them and reset then reconnect them, everything will work forever in on position or for 6-7 seconds in run.

I removed the bcm and inspected it, no obvious corrosion or any signs of burnt/shorted circuits but removed and sprayed all the connecters and relays with contact cleaner and then blew it all out with compressed air before reassembling. No difference, same story as before.

I'm guessing i need to either fork out for the diagnostic software and learn how to use it (painful, I'm planning on flipping this car once it sorted), or find someone near me who has it already. Audi dealer will absolutely rape me if I go in there so that seems not the way to go. A bit hesitant to fork out the $$$ for a used bcm if that's not the issue.

To complicate matters slightly further, the seller said the car was working well, but was in storage a long time. She then had a dealer come out to inspect with an auto electrician and test the car and she said it seemed to develop a lot of issues after they came and that they offered her a ridiculously low price as a result of it. Not out of the question that the dealer was unscrupulous and had the auto tech do something to the bcm to cause the issues?