Pot hole has killed my coilovers

LennyST8

Reaction score
Driving to work yesterday down a country lane, pitch black. I pulled in to let a car past, an almighty bang straight into a huge pot hole :rage:
Taken it in today and its completely shattered my collar, the spring has obviously dropped and basically its shot.

My passengers coilover is also leaking, he's not sure of the brand as they're not labelled (looks cheap to be honest) so it looks like a new set is the best option, just what I need after spending over 8k this year.

So the question is have I got a leg to stand on regarding a claim? The hole is colossal but it is at the side of the road, no option to avoid it though when letting traffic past. I'm gonna go back tomorrow and take some photos of the size and depth, pictures of the damage and my mechanic is gonna do me a report, obviously highlighting the fact that it was caused by the condition of the road.

What would be the best way to go about it? I'm aware that it only damaged one one corner but if it can't be replaced on It's own (possibly obsolete) then that's hardly my fault. Should I try and get the full cost or would it be more realistic to just try and get anything I can?

Any help would be much appreciated as you can imagine I'm now pretty skint, this is going on credit cards now. Another factor is that that theses obviously aren't standard items, are the likely to look into this or does it not matter?

Cheers for any advise :rock:

I spent 8 months trying to claim from the council after falling off my motorbike going through a 10 foot long, 9 inch wide deep crack in the middle of the road on a corner, I only wanted it fixed and a replacement clutch lever and helmet and they employed a solicitor and refused to pay anything, after I made a fool of their solicitor they fixed the road.

I spent 8 months trying to claim from the council after falling off my motorbike going through a 10 foot long, 9 inch wide deep crack in the middle of the road on a corner, I only wanted it fixed and a replacement clutch lever and helmet and they employed a solicitor and refused to pay anything, after I made a fool of their solicitor they fixed the road.

So you ended up in court and it caused an accident? Looks live I've got my work cut out then......

no court case - just constant nonsense from some solicitor in wales, he eventually told me I was being silly and showed me a council worksheet highlighting the road had been fixed the day after I reported it, so I took his letter and a copy of a daily newspaper and photographed the same hole in the road and sent a laughing face at his lies, funnily enough the road was fixed the following day.

Reactions: Alex C
Driving to work yesterday down a country lane, pitch black. I pulled in to let a car past, an almighty bang straight into a huge pot hole :rage:
Taken it in today and its completely shattered my collar, the spring has obviously dropped and basically its shot.

My passengers coilover is also leaking, he's not sure of the brand as they're not labelled (looks cheap to be honest) so it looks like a new set is the best option, just what I need after spending over 8k this year.

So the question is have I got a leg to stand on regarding a claim? The hole is colossal but it is at the side of the road, no option to avoid it though when letting traffic past. I'm gonna go back tomorrow and take some photos of the size and depth, pictures of the damage and my mechanic is gonna do me a report, obviously highlighting the fact that it was caused by the condition of the road.

What would be the best way to go about it? I'm aware that it only damaged one one corner but if it can't be replaced on It's own (possibly obsolete) then that's hardly my fault. Should I try and get the full cost or would it be more realistic to just try and get anything I can?

Any help would be much appreciated as you can imagine I'm now pretty skint, this is going on credit cards now. Another factor is that that theses obviously aren't standard items, are the likely to look into this or does it not matter?

Cheers for any advise :rock:

Happen to me in the past , same sort of thing , moved over to allow oncoming traffic , first off you need pictures , general view, closer , then rule showing size and depth, various angles , newspaper headlines good way to prove the day/date you took the photos .......used to be film only , but that may of changed by now ..

Then its a report and estimate from a garage .no point being silly, In my case Id bent the alloy wheel on the 80CD , the inner rim had warped ...keep a copy of everything and send it to the authority , claims department .

GL-G,