Young driver insurance

Don't put £12.5k down as a deposit, you would be mental too.

If you need advice off anyone, I can probably help you most because I have been in your position for a long time trying to chase cars and I've had about for failed finance applications in the last attempt (RS3).

If you were going HP, yes.. but PCP, no!! If you then in 3 years time decide you don't want to pay the remaining amount, which will be around £20k.. you will lose your £12.5k, plus your monthly payments! Yes your payments will be lower, but that's a crazy amount to put down.

The maximum you ever want to put on a PCP is £4k, because that money you never see back.
Put down a £3000-£4000 deposit, use the rest of your pot to afford the monthly payments.

Are you in a financial situation where you can 100% afford it or are you on a fine line? I were closer to the fine line when I wanted an RS3. Right now I spent around 2/3 of my wages a month, 90% of which on the car. If you are needing to calculate fuel, base it on the car doing 23mpg and not the maximum 30 that people quote. That caught me out, I allowed a maximum of £250 a month fuel expecting to spend £100 less than that, I've used it all.

PM me if you like, I don't want to disclose exact earnings etc on a public feed, but I will help you out as much as I can to make sure you can afford it and don't put too much money down.

I do love this PCP myth....

You are both financing the same amount of cash, whether you pay a large deposit and small monthlies or small deposit and large monthlies is largely irrelevant, you will both spend basically the same amount of the finance agreement! You both lose!

I say basically, as the person with a higher deposit actually pays a bit less as he has slightly less interest, so if anything a larger deposit is better. When you consider a savings account will earn you 0.5% at the moment, putting down £5k and keeping £10k makes zero sense unless you have somewhere else to invest it. Might as well save £10k worth of 6.3% interest and increase your deposit....

Reactions: Audi Bairn
fo

Really? for me the new FL is the more expensive to insure. if you don't mind me asking who was that with? they might not even quote me as that's the normal for most insurers :(
This is with Direct Line Joe

Reactions: Joe4842
I do love this PCP myth....

You are both financing the same amount of cash, whether you pay a large deposit and small monthlies or small deposit and large monthlies is largely irrelevant, you will both spend basically the same amount of the finance agreement! You both lose!

I say basically, as the person with a higher deposit actually pays a bit less as he has slightly less interest, so if anything a larger deposit is better. When you consider a savings account will earn you 0.5% at the moment, putting down £5k and keeping £10k makes zero sense unless you have somewhere else to invest it. Might as well save £10k worth of 6.3% interest and increase your deposit....

So youre saying that it doesnt matter if the deposit is small or large?

Reactions: DrEskimo
Don't suppose you know the rough wait time for the FL S3's at the moment? I suppose I can just go in with me briefcase full of money, plonk the hefty deposit down and worry about insurance when the car finally comes!

Ordered mine 10th Sept, collected 17th Nov.
But Christmas holidays impact on the duration for later orders.

does the original deposit for the car to begin being built have to be my full planned deposit? or could I put down some of the deposit, then sell the car privately nearer the car arriving, and then 'top up' my deposit'? apologies if I sound like a complete idiot but I have a lot to learn about this kinda stuff before I dive in for a deal!

£500 when placing order for me, then balance of down payment on collection day.

Reactions: Joe4842
Ordered mine 10th Sept, collected 17th Nov.
But Christmas holidays impact on the duration for later orders.
Don't put £12.5k down as a deposit, you would be mental too.

If you need advice off anyone, I can probably help you most because I have been in your position for a long time trying to chase cars and I've had about for failed finance applications in the last attempt (RS3).

If you were going HP, yes.. but PCP, no!! If you then in 3 years time decide you don't want to pay the remaining amount, which will be around £20k.. you will lose your £12.5k, plus your monthly payments! Yes your payments will be lower, but that's a crazy amount to put down.

The maximum you ever want to put on a PCP is £4k, because that money you never see back.
Put down a £3000-£4000 deposit, use the rest of your pot to afford the monthly payments.

Are you in a financial situation where you can 100% afford it or are you on a fine line? I were closer to the fine line when I wanted an RS3. Right now I spent around 2/3 of my wages a month, 90% of which on the car. If you are needing to calculate fuel, base it on the car doing 23mpg and not the maximum 30 that people quote. That caught me out, I allowed a maximum of £250 a month fuel expecting to spend £100 less than that, I've used it all.

PM me if you like, I don't want to disclose exact earnings etc on a public feed, but I will help you out as much as I can to make sure you can afford it and don't put too much money down.

Isnt it just 6 and two 3's AN? If you put down a small deposit you will pay more monthly, where as if i put down a big deposit, i will pay very little monthly, so wont we work out around the same? The only returns we will both get is the equity above the minimum value of the cars worth at the end of our contracts?

£500 when placing order for me, then balance of down payment on collection day.

Thanks Bairn! If i can be a cheeky ****** and ask what sort of spec and deal you got? You can dm me if you like. And if you dont want to then thats 100% fine! Thanks for the help bud

Don't suppose you know the rough wait time for the FL S3's at the moment? I suppose I can just go in with me briefcase full of money, plonk the hefty deposit down and worry about insurance when the car finally comes!
Ordered mine 4 weeks ago and I have a 26th Feb build date :(

Thanks Bairn! If i can be a cheeky ****** and ask what sort of spec and deal you got? You can dm me if you like. And if you dont want to then thats 100% fine! Thanks for the help bud

I added Tech pack advanced, privacy glass, 3 way split rear seat, , parking plus, Navarra paint.
Added GAP insurance & Alloy / puncture insurance for a negotiated reduced combined price of £400.
Got about 10 or 11% off from memory.

Reactions: pburv and Joe4842
So youre saying that it doesnt matter if the deposit is small or large?

Yup. You will actually pay less (slightly) by putting in a bigger deposit because you are borrowing less. But it's only slightly less.

Eg. A standard hatchback S3 S tronic with no options will cost £33,840, will include a £2300 contribution from Audi and on a 24months PCP with 5,000 miles will have a GFV of £21,427.

If I put £5k deposit I would make 23 payments of £349.07. This would mean I pay £8028.61, which plus my £5k deposit would mean I spent a total of £13,028.61.

Now if I put £10k deposit I would make 23 payments of £117.72. This would mean I pay £2,707.56, which plus my £10k deposit would mean I spent a total of £12,707.56.

As you can see, you actually save £300 odd by putting in a higher deposit.

Hope that helps. Oh and before anyone says otherwise, it makes absolutely no difference if you trade the car in early (i.e. 8months in). Both a high and low deposit scenario still will result in a very similar amount paid.

Only things that matter are the price of the car, the GFV and the APR. You can't control the APR or GFV so get that price of the car down!!

Where an argument for a lower deposit can be made is that you can always increase the upfront payment (prefer to call it this rather than a deposit...!). You cant however, take money back. So if you find you can't afford the monthlies, you stick more money in and reduce it. However if you put as low as possible, you can use the money for other things. My argument though, is that any money you hold back, you are effectively borrowing at 6.3% APR, which is double what you could get from a bank...

Also, investment at the moment isn't exactly great so reducing the interest and reducing high interest debt is a good way to save money...

Last edited:
Reactions: TDI-line and pburv
No idea how you got a quote at 1500! for a s3!! but as said above if it's that cheap better grab it asap! my a3 1.6tdi was 1400 for the year ( was 19) , and now got a3 a4 s line quattro which was 1500 for the year ( 20) with 2 years ncb! I'd love to have a s3 ! just can't afford running it monthly

Also I put a high deposit for my a4 around 9k I believe. and as said it makes not much of a difference either way. just what is easier for you and what your preference is!

Reactions: DrEskimo
Yup. You will actually pay less (slightly) by putting in a bigger deposit because you are borrowing less. But it's only slightly less.

Eg. A standard hatchback S3 S tronic with no options will cost £33,840, will include a £2300 contribution from Audi and on a 24months PCP with 5,000 miles will have a GFV of £21,427.

If I put £5k deposit I would make 23 payments of £349.07. This would mean I pay £8028.61, which plus my £5k deposit would mean I spent a total of £13,028.61.

Now if I put £10k deposit I would make 23 payments of £117.72. This would mean I pay £2,707.56, which plus my £10k deposit would mean I spent a total of £12,707.56.

As you can see, you actually save £300 odd by putting in a higher deposit.

Hope that helps. Oh and before anyone says otherwise, it makes absolutely no difference if you trade the car in early (i.e. 8months in). Both a high and low deposit scenario still will result in a very similar amount paid.

Only things that matter are the price of the car, the GFV and the APR. You can't control the APR or GFV so get that price of the car down!!

Where an argument for a lower deposit can be made is that you can always increase the upfront payment (prefer to call it this rather than a deposit...!). You cant however, take money back. So if you find you can't afford the monthlies, you stick more money in and reduce it. However if you put as low as possible, you can use the money for other things. My argument though, is that any money you hold back, you are effectively borrowing at 6.3% APR, which is double what you could get from a bank...

Also, investment at the moment isn't exactly great so reducing the interest and reducing high interest debt is a good way to save money...
Fully agree with that mate, but as you say £300 saving...for me I'd view it pessimistically for that amount!!! Big deposit and if you then lose your job and can't afford the car they take it back and you lose all your deposit. At least with a small deposit you still have the extra £5k to keep you ticking over :)

I just set a figure that I want to pay each month and expect to lose each month and work the deposit around that...the car is my treat/hobby etc. as other gamble, watch football, take drugs etc :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Joe4842, AudiNutta, DrEskimo and 1 other person
23 years old

NO points

4 years no claims

Best price on my 3dr manual FL S3 is £1090

Fully agree with that mate, but as you say £300 saving...for me I'd view it pessimistically for that amount!!! Big deposit and if you then lose your job and can't afford the car they take it back and you lose all your deposit. At least with a small deposit you still have the extra £5k to keep you ticking over :)

I just set a figure that I want to pay each month and expect to lose each month and work the deposit around that...the car is my treat/hobby etc. as other gamble, watch football, take drugs etc :)

Yea very reasonable position to take!

My point was that the amount of deposit you pay upfront isn't 'lost'. You're just breaking up the total amount you are borrowing a different way. Horse for courses. and all that :)

I can see how your example could mean a lower deposit is better, but really how often is that likely to occur..! More likely is that you will trade the car in early, in which case if you put in a high deposit you will get equity back, and if you put a low deposit in, you would get nothing back.

Reactions: S32B
22 years old, 3 years named driver, paying £700 for the year as first driver. Although I have put my parents as named drivers.

This was with Admiral back at the beginning of October, only advice I can give is keep checking different comparison websites daily and have a play with the insurance start dates. For some reason, the price was going up for every day I went further than mid-October, but then seemed to drop beginning of November, it just made no sense :shrug: