ABS Light on

Doug Packman

Reaction score
Got the ABS light on and had the code read and it's the right rear at fault but apparently it can be either the sensor or the wheel bearing, is there a more common cause don't really want to have to fit both of I can avoid it?

Jet wash the sensor after removing the wheel

Then report back.

Thanks for the reply, I have already had the pads out at the rear and cleaned the bearing seal surface and sensor with brake cleaner, that seemed to help for a while, then the light has just started to come back on again not from the start of the journey but at some point during most journeys and then when its on it stays on until I cycle the power. Do you still recommend "jet washing" the sensor or is what I've already done basically the same?

Thanks Doug.

A failing wheel bearing would normally cause a audible hum from the wheel in question which would increase in volume with speed. Also, when rotating the wheel by hand the rotation would feel rough - you can detect a difference when rotating the good and suspect side. Most ABS sensor issues are caused by a failing sensor, a dirty sensor - (you've removed yours and cleaned it?) or a problem with the wring e.g. chafed/damaged wire.

The wheel bearing is definitely not noisy, I was just told that the sensor pick-ups are in the wheel bearing seal and they can cause the light to come on if they deteriorate with age, not sure how reliable that is though, sounds more and more like its the sensor then!

Update on the ABS light on, replaced the right hand rear wheel speed sensor and the light is no longer coming on, seems that the sensors are quite common for failing, TPS keep them on stock so thats a good sign that they're a relatively high turnover component. Thanks for everyone's help and input.