Need another new set of LED numberplate lights

A6JP

Reaction score
Hi all, has anyone ever used Osram or Phillips LED's in their numberplate and does anyone know if they cause issues with the cars canbus system.

Only reason im asking is because my current LED's have just gone and I cant be bothered to keep replacing every 2/3 months.

Any pics would be greatly appreciated. Looking for the 6,000k light output and errors amd a reliable bulb. Need 2 new ones. A6 C6 Saloon 2010.

I tried a few different LED`s in the same position, any idea why they die ?
I was expecting LED`s to out last my ownership, but as you say they don`t seem to last very long,
I even tried brand new OE light/holder things.

Ive used various 38mm (239) festoon styles, as mentioned led types, filament type last but look a dirty yellow.

There is a genuine offering from Audi which fits the 4F, they are from a A8.

Reactions: A6JP
Ive used various 38mm (239) festoon styles, as mentioned led types, filament type last but look a dirty yellow.
I never got the whole lets LED the rear lights, mirror indicators, daytime lights, flooring LED's and xenons but leave the nice yellow bulb in the numberplate lights, just put good LED's in rant over lol.

I fitted some cheapy ones off Ebay from China 3yrs back, no issues but are a tad bright.

No canbus reported issues either.

I bought a set of those eBay number plate lights from the KrisKrk link and fitted them yesterday.
No bulb errors, but unfortunately, they flicker when the car does its self check so I've had to remove them again.
Going to see if I can send them back.
Wow, Sorry Simon for your problem from my recommendation link.
Mine didn't get me any type of the problem.
Hopefully you'll get it sorted.

No worries. I'll get on to the seller on eBay and see what they say.
I'm getting sick of LEDs now. I tried to fit LED side lights to my Passat CC that were supposed to be CANBUS friendly and the seller tried 3 different types without success so I gave up in the end and went back to standard.

The eBay seller sent me a set of replacement number plate lights and I got the same result.
With the lights of, they flicker about every 30 seconds when the car does its self check, so I've taken them back out and gone back to standard, although I did discover that someone had fitted 10W bulbs instead of 5W sometime in the past.
Contacted the seller again and they have given me a full refund and didn't ask for the lights back!

I'm sticking with stock now. Can't be bothered swapping them again.
In my experience, aftermarket LED number plate lights are too bright anyway.

I would only change to OE ones now, but even those require an adaptor which put the price up to about £60. Can't justify that for a pair of number plate lights.

Reactions: KrisKrk
@Simon968

I have OEM number plate lights with adaptors for the same reason.

I've just taken them off my Golf (Mk6). Don't think they'll fit your A6 but you can check?

IMG 2999