No. of files limit onUSB key for MMI plus

Ytterligare

Reaction score
Hello, my A4 is due in a couple of weeks, so I decided to get ready for the multimedia part in advance, and got some SD cards and a USB key filled them with classic/jazz/rock music and went to the Audi showroom where I tested the limits of the media in terms of files capacity...so here's the setup :

USB1 : empty
USB2 : a 256 GB USB key with 15.000 classical/jazz music files divided into proper folders/subfolders
SD1 : a 128 GB SD card with about 10.500 rock music files
SD2 : a 128 GB SD card filled with movies ( I wanted also to test if .mkv file were ok for the MMI+ )

Well I have to say I am partially satisfied as :

Yes, the .mkv video files which are not mentioned on the owner manual are supported indeed, no subtitles tho...
I thought the 10.000 files limit for the USB media mentioned in page 291 of the manual was a proforma, but it seems effective as the 256 GB USB key was filled with about 15.000 files, but only about 10.000 of them were visible by the MMI, while all the other were not : when I entered the folder after "Mozart" the message was "This folder does not contain any playable file" ( sorry, maybe a bad translation, the A4 I tested was setup for italian language).

Anyone succeeded in having the media reader going beyond the 10.000 files boundary, maybe using a different formatting ( FAT32 or Extended FAT instead of NTFS)...? Any hints, apart from splitting the classical music and using also USB1...)...?

Ciao

Andy

Edit: I know there's a special section for MMI, but not sure if any MMI plus ( B9 ) users are reading that...it seems the most of the thread are for B8 generation MMI, which I don't believe is sharing the same specs...or is it ?

I doubt if you can go beyond this limit as I think it might be a limitation of Unix, which is what QNX, the operating system of MMI, is based upon.
This isn't car dependent either...

Last edited:
Interesting. I'm currently working on filling a 128gb SD card with music, it's about half full now with over 7000 tracks, I will now remember when to stop. The limits in the manual state 1,000 items per folder, 10,000 items per media device so your findings seem to reinforce those limits. Worth testing though as we found out with the RNS-E units, limits in the book don't always reflect the truth!

I might try with exFAT with mine, see if that's the same as your findings.

I have a few .mkv files myself, good news on that, thanks :)

I have heard you can have 10,000 on the internal jukebox, if you have the technology pack, and another 10,000 on the removal device. But I've not tried this myself...

The manual suggests just that, so, 50,000 files per car with Tech Pack. All my MP3s are 320kbps so by my calculations using rock and pop songs, 128gb is too big to fill for me, 64gb cards would be more economical perhaps? B9 MMI will play lossless FLAC however, so wouldn't be wasted space if you go down that route, may be a tad overkill though given the limited acoustics of a car driving down the road....

@cuke2u
This make sense thank you, and of course it is car independent.
Although peeking in the net I've found evidences that QNX has no kernel-wise limit for the max number of files in a folder..."au contraire", I found some of people having 130.000 file per dir, although I can't be sure which QNX dialect they're speaking about..
Here :
http://www.openqnx.com/newsgroups/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7883

And here
http://www.qnx.com/developers/docs/6.3.0SP3/neutrino/user_guide/limits.html

But again, we might be dealing with some *nix Qnx dialect here..

Mind you I spent hours splitting big one-file flac classical cd into separate songs/pieces for easy access sake, looks like I'm reverting to the original solution although not sure how to access a specific song inside a whole-Cd-flac-file, can you ?

@BigAardvaark
Hope I've served you well sir, but I'm afraid that more than the type of container which mkv is, the most important parameter here is the encoding solution as, yes the file could be seen by MMI, but the movie couldn't be played if encoded with some exotic codec....

Last edited: