S3 Flywheel seized, Clutch Burnt Out

peter-d-w

Reaction score
My 2.5 year old S3 has failed in spectacular fashion. It has only done 6,200 miles. I had trouble with the Clutch one time in October, It stayed down after a gear change and obviously the car lost power. I pulled the clutch pedal back up by hand and it was possible to drive the car normally again. It failed again whilst on the the way to the garage to have the problem investigated. The clutch stayed down after a gear change but this time, even after pulling up the clutch pedal, it was impossible to select a gear so the car had to be recovered by Audi Assistance.
The car has been repaired under warranty, the Flywheel had seized and the Clutch had failed because of excessive heat from the flywheel seizing. The Release Bearing was replaced as well. After I had driven the 14 miles home I noticed there was a 'Hot Smell' from the Engine and also a smell of Burnt Clutch Lining. The smell was permeating the whole car. The garage told me it was residual smell from the original failure. Two weeks later the garage agreed to take the car back in for a long term test while I was away on holiday for another 2 weeks. They told me they could find nothing wrong after driving it for approximately 90 miles. I collected the car today and again after driving just 14 miles the Engine smells 'Hot' and the smell of burnt clutch lining is just as strong as it was 5 weeks ago. I find it difficult to believe that this is 'residual smell' as it is so strong. I have tried to get help from Audi UK to get this matter resolved but they have been no use whatsoever. The garage I bought the car (new) from in the first place has been no help either. Any advice or opinions on this problem would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Peter

Had the car actually done an extra 90 miles when you picked it up?

Not sure what a "seized flywheel" would be, as it's attached to the engine crankshaft. If the flywheel can't go round, neither will the engine as far as I know... If it's a dual mass flywheel that fitted to these cars I guess it might mean the dual mass mechanism had seized/failed?

I've just checked the mileage, it had done 80+ miles while they had it. The S3 has a Dual Mass Flywheel I'm told and I think that it was the mechanism on this which had seized. When the car failed, I coasted to a stop as there was no power as the clutch pedal was down on the floor. The engine was still running until I turned it off. It started normally later on, although it wasn't possible to select a gear, so the engine couldn't have been seized. I've just noticed that there is another thread on here about this problem so it would appear to be affecting others too.

Last edited: