Check oil level

mike260193

Reaction score
Hello,

So this is the second time this happens to me, one day I was driving and the "check oil level " turns on!

9f10752ce4ecd91637cc571050713860.jpg

Is this normal? Is it usual for Audis to evaporate the oil ?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Mine used 1 litre in the first 10,000 miles but seems to have settled down now.

Mine used 1 litre in the first 10,000 miles but seems to have settled down now.
The people at the dealer told me to pass by to add the extra for free, though I am more concerned if it is normal or not!

My previous car did not consume it at all

Reactions: Rob2k68
The people at the dealer told me to pass by to add the extra for free, though I am more concerned if it is normal or not!

My previous car did not consume it at all

What mileage are you on - also petrol or diesel ?

Reactions: Audi Bairn
What mileage are you on - also petrol or diesel ?
24050 and counting!, Petrol and it is the second time it happens! It happened when I was close to the 10k if I am not mistaken

24050 and counting!, Petrol and it is the second time it happens! It happened when I was close to the 10k if I am not mistaken

Same mileage as me - if there's no obvious leaks probably worth taking it to the dealer and getting it up in the air with the undertray off just to check it over.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Same mileage as me - if there's no obvious leaks probably worth taking it to the dealer and getting it up in the air with the undertray off just to check it over.
I'm gonna go later today, I will inform what they say here !

Long story short, they did not explain me why did it consume so much oil, they just refueled it and sent me home !

Its always best to check your oil level once or twice a month depending on how many miles you do , just to be on the safe side.

Reactions: Martinbanshee, glospete and Rob2k68
I always have quick gander at the coolant and oil level after i wash the car, which is once a week!. Sort of a habit now lol

Reactions: Martinbanshee, glospete, Rob2k68 and 1 other person
Yep very normal, Audi petrol engines consume a LOT of oil. Mine was going through a 0.5 of a litre every 6000 miles.

I asked Audi to investigated, they carried out diagnostics and said there was nothing wrong. Audi only intervene if your car is using more than a litre of oil in something like 630 miles. Check your manual, I'm being serious haha.

Whatever you do don't store mixed screen wash in an oil bottle = narrow escape !!!!

Reactions: Daytonapig, AudiNutta, THQuattro and 1 other person
Well, at least high oil consumption suggests the bores are being well lubricated :p

Reactions: Daytonapig
Always check mine every couple of weeks. Not a difficult job & takes no time to do it.

I always forget, of all the things I do in looking after the car I always forget to check the oil. In my previous A3, I used to top it up when I had the oil minimum light come on (awful I know). I just assumed that audi would not let you damage the engine at the initial amber stage of oil level.

I will try and remember to do it more frequently. I remember to check my tyre pressures more frequently, normally every 2-3 weeks as the compressor at Sainsbury's is normally busy. Does everyone set their TPMS every time you check your pressures or leave it, as they have previously been set at the correct pressures? TPMS is another thing I need to remember, with it being a new feature it's something I always remember a few days after the event.

I reset my TPMS every time I do my tyre pressure. Do it when the tyres are cold.

Reactions: RS3 S.