AQA 1.8t Q Remap

Saedster

Reaction score
Hey there!

So I've decided to get my car mapped but there's a lack of tuners for this engine in my region. It's a 2000 model so I've been told it is a narrowband. The options are Revo stage 1 which would cost me about 400 pounds or Apr who charge around 600. I've been told that these guys just have a standard set of codes that they write onto my ECU. I was wondering if there are any other options like buying a tune online or a piggy back or an already tuned ecu and plugging it into my car. the only mod I'm running is an s2000 filter with the stock airbox and want to do a smog delete soon.

in preparation I've gotten a new head gasket kit, new sparks and coils, water pump and belt. Is there anthing else i should check out before i decide to get the tune? Ive read i should get my vac and water lines checked. IS there like a full service kit for that or would i have to check each pipe for cracks individually and order that specific part? I'd like to replace them all at once as the dealership over here don't supply them so I'll have to get them online so if anyone could point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful.

Thanks for the help and best regards.

its not a problem getting your ecu tuned.. wideband is nicer but narrowband for your level of mods is adequate

I've read through this. Come to the conclusion that at this stage i don't need a custom map, and as I've gathered both the revo and apr supplied here is a generic code. however i figured that getting one online would be alot cheaper, but I haven't been able to find anything, plus even if i did i wouldnt be clear how to go about applying it if its anything other than plug and play/swapping out the ecu for an already tuned one.

its not a problem getting your ecu tuned.. wideband is nicer but narrowband for your level of mods is adequate
yeah the revo suppliers were ready to do it but i just wanted to consider what my other options are. Would it be viable to ship my ECU to you guys in the UK and have it tuned?

nope.
mail order/generic maps on older cars is a flawed approach.

you MUST check the car out, log it, etc.... else you risk damaging it. Old cars remember

Might be too late but i approached a re map on my 2000 a3 1.8t at 135k miles - car ran really well beforehand, put dump valve and induction kit on it then had it mapped by UNICORN MOTORSPORT managed to get me +60Bhp and off the top of my head i cant remember torque gains.
Can runs fine now and has done for a year. just had a custom exhaust put on and wouldn't go back. I appreciate not all cars have been treated as well as mint however i believe it should be fine.

Merry Christmas! :D