Could it be the tyres?

malcolm1sim

Reaction score
Hi All,

On a recent trip to Europe I (well my son actually) noticed a vibration through the car at motorway speeds.

Car is an 02 A4 3.00Q with 30000 miles, still on original tyres.

I cannot see any wheel weights missing and have not damaged rims
enough to cause a problem.

Tyres have a few thousand miles left but are of course 4+ years old
and probably "softening" a tad.

Problem is not noticable on UK roads.

Any ideas.

Cheers for now,

Malcolm

And I found the roads to be alot smoother over there, I reckon they would show up any balancing issues. If it's 'through the car' and not so much the steering it's probably the rear tyres.

you might need to wheel balancing,every now and then you need to do that.If you dont go on the motorway all the time,its not noticeable.:laugh:

Tyre pressures ok? I had a similar issue this week and checked my tyre pressures were out by 5psi so once adjusted there was no more vibrations at higher speeds.

1st thing to check is

air pressures as someone above stated

2nd thing to check is
even thread wear? check all 4 tyres, turn the steering full lock right and check fronts and then full lock left and check again.

3rd thing to check is muck or tar or similar to stuck to the rims or tyres, as this would cos an additional weight to the rim and therefore unbalancing the tyre.

if it still happens after all of the above seem fine, take to ur local tyre fitter, not a multi national (rip off) and get them to balance the wheels for u, u might find one of the weights have disappeared a while ago and its only noticeable now cos its hasnt been above 65mph since then?

Thanks for your views, look like I am
off down the tyre shop.

Cheers again,

Malcolm

Could also be uneven wear. I had this on a rear tyre on my GTi, funnily enough when I drove down to Monza. The tyre had worn in 4 equally spaced sections and was causing a horrible vibration through the car rather than through the steering. You'd think that had to be caused by some other fault like a wheel bearing or something, but had the tyre replaced and it was fine, never reoccurred.
Also if it's a rear wheel that's lost a weight then the vibration is less noticeable through the steering.