Front disc diameter?

QuattroCalum

Reaction score
So, I have a 52 plate b6 a4 Quattro 1.8t , the disc measures 320 mm am I right that these are standard size, or not? Thanks in advance.

320? Not 312?
Because some did have 312 standard.. But I'd it's 320 I think it was upgraded at some point..
Have you any picture of the calipers?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

B 8 has 320 mm discs but the calipers are the same as fitted to B5.5 Passats, but the carriers could've been changed, I'll get the part number off the carriers next time I'm under there, or maybe it was 312, I'm getting old and memory's :notworking:

So I found on another post that the B5 S4 used 320mm discs, haven't got round to getting the wheel off and measuring them YET!

Everywhere I see the B5 S4 brakes mentioned its that they ate indeed 320mm.
Some prefer that upgrade, others prefer B6 S4 because they're 345mm.
Also due to B5 using those HP2 calipers with 4 pads per side.
I haven't upgraded my brakes yet but I chose B6 S4.
The larger surface has to translate in better stopping power..

Would I have to change just the caliper carriers or would it have to be the whole caliper to do the 345mm upgrade?

It depends on what brakes you have..
Drop a picture here and I'll let you know what you'd need for the. 345mm upgrade..

Right..
Same as mine then..
But I still have factory 288..
And if your calipers ateike this and they're not 288 they are 312 which all its needed is a carrier upgrade and larger rotors..

Now.. For the s4 brakes you'll need calipers, carriers, rotors and pads.
They are quite expensive but from what I hear they're well worth it..
That's why I decided to upgrade to B6 S4.

Here's my selection.
B7 S4 calipers, Brembo pads and cross drilled rotors. I even threw some hard lines to complement everything..
Just sorting someasr details before fitting them..
0b42da410d258845233e8fdb6f0fc2f3.jpg

b7c771eb43bba0cdc616b6e8dbe18f70.jpg

And this is how they gonna look like when they're on. (just forgot to put the clip on it.)
6ec93cfba477e148f26802222af93256.jpg

Okay, went out and whipped the wheel off, they are 312mm discs. Will be replacing with the same unless I win the lottery.

Good stuff..
They are known for being a cheap and effective upgrade.. So, you can't go wrong there..
Or you can do it like I did.. Buy the parts little at a time and once you have everything bolt it on because it's a plug and play upgrade..

There's a nice Porsche near work, I look at the discs and calipers on that and think, they would bolt straight on :hubbahubba:

Wouldn't you wish? Ahah.
Some Porsche calipers bolt on to our b6..
But u think it's rear calipers to a front setup..
Can't remember for sure now.

If you're road driving, and not REALLY using the brakes then a set of good pads will be all you need to feel a decent upgrade, I am talking like £160 good, ferodo DS2500, they'll stop you in a hurry!

As for discs, well discs are discs, they're just lumps of metal. If you using brakes hard, or for track use then sure bigger discs, drilled, vented and grooved will all aid braking efficiency and power, but if you're simply driving spirited on the road, then a set of good pads will put you into a good place. Huge disc and a pad made out of sandpaper isn't going to stop you lol!

If you're really serious about brake upgrades, why not go carbon ceramic? haha

I know I looked into ferodo but something put me off..
As for my upgrade not only us for the added power but also for the looks..
Because let's face it.. S4 setup is something nice to look at filling up your wheel nicely.. Plus there's a bonus of bragging rights

Reactions: Pops848
I know I looked into ferodo but something put me off..
As for my upgrade not only us for the added power but also for the looks..
Because let's face it.. S4 setup is something nice to look at filling up your wheel nicely.. Plus there's a bonus of bragging rights

haha yeah they look sweet and the bragging rights are good, each to their own I always say but when people chase upgrades unnecessarily it's painful to see :-(

haha yeah they look sweet and the bragging rights are good, each to their own I always say but when people chase upgrades unnecessarily it's painful to see :-(
Yes I know..
I want to map my car but didn't wanna do it without having some good stopping power.. And looking @ my options I chose s4 setup..
And I have a feeling the brake fluid has never been changed..
That's why I'm doing all this work..
I don't track my car nor its a show car.. It's really for my own entertainment.. Lol.

Yes I know..
I want to map my car but didn't wanna do it without having some good stopping power.. And looking @ my options I chose s4 setup..
And I have a feeling the brake fluid has never been changed..
That's why I'm doing all this work..
I don't track my car nor its a show car.. It's really for my own entertainment.. Lol.

IMG 0824

Porsche, not in this lifetime

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahah.. Really?
Trying to make me jealous or toss my s4 setup in the bin and get me one of those?
Ahah

Not at all, just admiring them, thought I'd take a pic so you could see them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love it mate..
Since I've thought of this upgrade I do nothing more than looking at brakes. (sad, I know, lol)

Don't forget to bleed the clutch slave cylinder when your changing the brake fluid, so often forgotten.

Don't forget to bleed the clutch slave cylinder when your changing the brake fluid, so often forgotten.
Yeah..
I don't think it's forgotten but overlooked..
I heard people saying that it isn't necessary but talked to a friend of mine who has the manual and it indeed suggests to bleed the clutch..
So. Since I want to take the most of these monster brakes i will definitely bleed the clutch..
But thanks a million for the reminder.. Never too much to remind of that..

Yeah..
I don't think it's forgotten but overlooked..
I heard people saying that it isn't necessary but talked to a friend of mine who has the manual and it indeed suggests to bleed the clutch..
So. Since I want to take the most of these monster brakes i will definitely bleed the clutch..
But thanks a million for the reminder.. Never too much to remind of that..

When I bled mine it was quite surprising the amount of debris that came out, clutch action was much nicer after.

When I bled mine it was quite surprising the amount of debris that came out, clutch action was much nicer after.
Good to know..
Will definitely do it.. Hopefully today..
Have the calipers drying because I had to spray it again because of some work that was done to them..