S4 or 340i

AndrewL

Reaction score
Hi All,

New to these forums, been lurking a while, so hello to everybody.

Currently have a 330i and thinking of moving to either a 340i or S4. Would be interested to hear your thoughts, plus and minus from both sides. Hoping to test drive both but would like to hear from those that have experience of both brands.

Thanks.

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
Hi and welcome.

Both great cars so make sure you spend some time in both (although I guess more in the audi if you're used to a 330!) and drive them on routes you know well.

I looked at both when I bought my S4 (it was this or a 335i), but the audi felt like a slightly more special proposition and I loved the engine.

The BMW was a great car, but felt a bit more mainstream if that makes sense? The draw of 4wd which wasn't available on the 335 was also a big factor.

what clinched it for me though was how badly treated I was by BMW dealers. Despite booking test drives in advance, I was still left waiting 30min + on two occasions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: AndrewL
On paper the S4 has it, in the interior the S4 has it and in looks I think the rear end of the bmw is not very good at all. I have driven a m sport and the suspension did not cope very well with our uk roads and the trouble is the 340 has a diesel version almost as fast but cheaper to run. I guess the bmw is cheaper to buy but would you need to purchase anything to bring it up to the S4's spec? Also the audi has the vc at only an extra £250.

B8 or B9 S4 by the way?!

On paper the S4 has it, in the interior the S4 has it and in looks I think the rear end of the bmw is not very good at all. I have driven a m sport and the suspension did not cope very well with our uk roads and the trouble is the 340 has a diesel version almost as fast but cheaper to run. I guess the bmw is cheaper to buy but would you need to purchase anything to bring it up to the S4's spec? Also the audi has the vc at only an extra £250.

Thanks for the info very helpful.

I am looking at PCP and although the BMW is slightly cheaper the Audi has a higher GFV so the monthlies are about the same.

Reactions: cuke2u
Sorry - missed that this was in the B9 section! Same applies but even more so. The new S4 is a really nice place to be.

Didn't see that result coming.
Seriously though in all fairness the only things the BMW has going for it in this instance is better to drive (If you like excitement) and more of a Q car if you debadge. Also doesn't have an Ipad stuck to the dash.

Reactions: AndrewL
...I was a die hard BMW man for over 20 years until i bought my first Audi a good few years ago.....personally i wont be returning to BMW.Im no longer interested in "on the limit handling " and other "entertaining BMW traits" Its all of course a matter of what interests you.......

Too true. 'On the limited handling' is no good on the road. Although I prefer the feel of the car more.
As I tried to point out though. The Audi has more day to day appeal.

...I was a die hard BMW man for over 20 years until i bought my first Audi a good few years ago.....personally i wont be returning to BMW.Im no longer interested in "on the limit handling " and other "entertaining BMW traits" Its all of course a matter of what interests you.......
Other tablets are available, you are right though as the bmw has a pathetic excuse for a screen and many manufacturers are copying audi's rendition...

Thanks for the answers everybody.

Have to say they only confirm what I thought. I love my 330i but interior does look very dated next to the B9 interior.

I was a big BMW fan and love the Infotainment system, the sat nav is really good and RTTI is far superior to Audi. I was going to order a 540i xdrive before the S4 but due to ZERO discounts the car would have cost me another £12-16K over the S4.

For me the S4 would win against the BMW for one simply reason and this is a genuine reason and one that did impact my decision.

Handbrake lever is so yesterday and I could not bring myself to go backwards for a any car costing £35K upwards.

Now saying that we did place an order for a new A1 1.4 TFSI at the same time and that does have a handbrake, which will take some getting used to as the current daily is an Audi A6.

Shaun

Last edited: