A3 2.0T 08 8PA Stiff / heavy steering - need some help with some questions, please!

hypes

Reaction score
Hello All, would like to firstly introduce myself - I am new to Audi's and have recently purchased my first one. which is an A3 2.0 TFSI Sline 08 8PA. Really impressed so far, it's a great car. I have however noticed that since I got it, the steering has got heavier / stiffer, especially when turning at low speeds. It gets worse when you turn the wheel past 45 degrees (or 15 minutes - not sure how else to explain :D) or -45 degrees -

I may be mistaken, but it may have started happening after the wheel lock got stuck on at full lock and I had to take the handbrake off and jiggle the car to get it to release (this may be a red herring though)

Also I am wondering if it is just because I've got used to the car - I really need to drive another one.

A few questions for the knowledgeable

1) How light should the steering be on my car? Should it be the same stiffness however far you turn the wheel? (it definitely gets heavier at points)
2) Does my car have servotronic steering? (it's an 08 plate - pre facelift 8PA)
3) Did Audi upgrade the steering at some point (around 07?) would my car have this?
4) Could the problem be something to do with wheel alignment?
5) Might it need a new steering rack?
6) Is this something that could be fixed via VCDS (resetting something ?)

If anyone can help that would be amazing. I am also going to see if I can find any codes tonight.

Many thanks

Welcome to the forum, there's an easy process to try before you think steering rack shot.

1. Centre your steering wheel and drive 10 metres forward.
2. At 10 metres, hard lock the steering to the left, then centre it again. Lock the steering to the right and centre it.
3. Reverse back the same 10 metres.

If it works, this will reset your steering angle sensor.

Servotronic steering should feel light at low speeds, for parking, low speed manoeuvrability, etc.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: hypes
I actually reset my steering tonight. I didn't need to drive though. I started the engine, centre steering wheel and leave for 5 seconds. Full lock left and hold 10 seconds, full lock right and hold 10 seconds then centre steering wheel again. At this point mine reset and I could feel the difference straight away however the instructions I read said to turn the engine off and leave for 5 seconds then restart.

Reactions: hypes
If you have large wheels and/or spacers, suspension mods this can also affect the steering feel. Hopefully resetting the steering is enough to fix it.

Welcome to the forum, there's an easy process to try before you think steering rack shot.

2. At 10 metres, hard lock the steering to the left, then centre it again. Lock the steering to the right and centre it.

Servotronic steering should feel light at low speeds, for parking, low speed manoeuvrability, etc.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Jake! I will give this a try.

If you have large wheels and/or spacers, suspension mods this can also affect the steering feel. Hopefully resetting the steering is enough to fix it.

The car is standard as far as I know apart from being sline with the stiffer suspension etc and 18" wheels.

Reactions: Jake 61
I can also add that the problem with unlocking steering wheel that you mentioned could be relative to linkage of steering rack (play) as well wishbones so check them out.
My driving instructor that problem on Alfa Romeo Giulietta. Basically it was alike I get first time to that car and got problem with turning the key also tried to move s.w. so I told him that something wrong. 2 days later I've got another ride and he told me that it was upper left side wishbone that gone (the car was around 15k miles done from new). In fact on my 2nd ride I don't got any issue anymore with it.

Hope this helps.

Wow, Jake, this worked! It put a massive smile on my face when I felt the feeling of the steering when I first got the car over a month ago. I am guessing the car may have got confused after the wheel lock got stuck hard right?

Many thanks.

Good stuff, that's what the forum is all about.
Simple fixes are cheap and you can do it yourself. No better feeling than solving the problem yourself without spending a penny.
I'm glad it worked.

Reactions: Marek196c and hypes
Yep, that is certainly a massive positive point about the internet and what it's really about - learning and sharing with others!

Drove it again today and it's 100% better.

I believe I know what happened - which is that I carried out the reset procedure unknowingly after turning the car around about a month ago outside my house and then switching the ignition off. It thought the center was hard right - it all makes sense now - if this is possible.

Yep, that is certainly a massive positive point about the internet and what it's really about - learning and sharing with others!

Drove it again today and it's 100% better.

I believe I know what happened - which is that I carried out the reset procedure unknowingly after turning the car around about a month ago outside my house and then switching the ignition off. It thought the center was hard right - it all makes sense now - if this is possible.
Hi I'm just wondering if your problem is still resolved. I have a very similar issue (lumpy steering when stationary and parking) I did the reset before but the problem comes back.

Hi I'm just wondering if your problem is still resolved. I have a very similar issue (lumpy steering when stationary and parking) I did the reset before but the problem comes back.

It is still an issue, but it's weird as sometimes its really heavy and sometimes its quite light. Doesn't seem to depend on the weather. As much as resetting the steering angle may of helped, it hasn't solved the root of the problem as far as I can tell.

It is still an issue, but it's weird as sometimes its really heavy and sometimes its quite light. Doesn't seem to depend on the weather. As much as resetting the steering angle may of helped, it hasn't solved the root of the problem as far as I can tell.
I seem to have the exact same problem. I'm almost certain that my steering is lightedt first thing in the morning but I might be imagining that. Do you think it's possible that a weak battery might be the cause? The reason I say this is because a few weeks ago I was doing a bit of work on my car and I left the door open for less than an hour and the battery died. I've never had a battery die on me so quick so I suspect it was weak. I replaced it with one from my old s3 8l to get me out of a hole but it might not be the correct battery either. I imagine the electric power steering would be hard on the battery and maybe if the battery isn't 100% it will start to act up. My steering was 100% when I got the car a few months ago. I specifically remember showing off to my missus and turning the steering wheel with 1 finger

I heard that they like to play if you got low voltage problem, so I will start with correct working battery in your case, then check also the psu liqid level and when it was changed.

Ah sorry using too much abbreviations anyway by psu i mean Power steering unit.
And I mean to check power steering level and when it was changed, because they absorb water so should be changed every 2 years aprox. and if its operated electrically your one can go crazy due to conductivity of water. (however don't know how they are exactly build)

Ah sorry using too much abbreviations anyway by psu i mean Power steering unit.
And I mean to check power steering level and when it was changed, because they absorb water so should be changed every 2 years aprox. and if its operated electrically your one can go crazy due to conductivity of water. (however don't know how they are exactly build)
Yeah I have an electric rack in mine

I seem to have the exact same problem. I'm almost certain that my steering is lightedt first thing in the morning but I might be imagining that. Do you think it's possible that a weak battery might be the cause? The reason I say this is because a few weeks ago I was doing a bit of work on my car and I left the door open for less than an hour and the battery died. I've never had a battery die on me so quick so I suspect it was weak. I replaced it with one from my old s3 8l to get me out of a hole but it might not be the correct battery either. I imagine the electric power steering would be hard on the battery and maybe if the battery isn't 100% it will start to act up. My steering was 100% when I got the car a few months ago. I specifically remember showing off to my missus and turning the steering wheel with 1 finger

This does sound the exact same problem - and I also agree with the 1 finger - I think I actually said the same thing to my misses :grin:

The issue is still the same for me, it really is quite annoying now. I am out of ideas :(

goodbuzz let me know if the new battery fixes your problem.

The electric racks do use quite a bit of battery power especially when starting the car on cold mornings, so if your battery is below par you are going to have heavy steering, the steering light may show itself as well. You can do the usual voltage checks with a meter to start with but if they are good it doesn't mean the battery is at it's best.

The electric racks do use quite a bit of battery power especially when starting the car on cold mornings, so if your battery is below par you are going to have heavy steering, the steering light may show itself as well. You can do the usual voltage checks with a meter to start with but if they are good it doesn't mean the battery is at it's best.

Thanks Sooty I will check the voltages. I'm guessing that the car will not necessarily produce any errors or warning lights if the battery is a bit crap?

Very rare for errors to show on a battery that is iffy, if it was flat as a pancake an error would show.

A quick update for you. I purchased a varta silver dynamic battery and I have noticed an improvement. It's not 100% but it's better. If I'm rolling down the street and I stop to parallel park, I still wouldn't be able to do it fast with one hand as I still feel the steering stiffen up. One thing I think though is that first thing in the morning the steering is at it's lightest.

if none of them helped go to your mechanic and ask him for check it (would charge around 20-50£)