Facelift S3 - a few questions before I press the button

trappyj

Reaction score
Hi everyone just joined today so sorry for this typical newbie 100 questions post;

A little about my car history, I have had a few VAG cars before but never an Audi, my most recent was a my12 Scirocco GT TSI, I was seriously gutted when I had to trade it in for a ‘practical family car’ (not a VAG); to add to my dismay I was then relegated to my Mrs’s old battered focus when the baby came along. Almost two long years later and I can finally get myself a nice car again.

VDCS: Does it work with the new S3 I have a Ross-Tech VDCS-HEX cable (will this still fit)?
I’ve not seen much mention of S3 model specific tweaks, have I missed the page?

Revo Stage 1 Map: has anyone had this done on the FL model yet? Is a Revo map more common on VW cars, if so what are the best software alternatives (I don’t want to fiddle around pugging a box into the engine though)?

2017 Road tax changes: If I keep the RRP with options under the 40k mark then first year road tax on the S tronic will be £200, falling to £145 for the years to follow?

Virtual cockpit: worth the price? I’m guessing it’s going to be standard on the new Golf R, I don’t want to regret not having it.

Advanced key: I want keyless entry but there are a lot of posts on here that are putting me off, am I right in thinking that if I keep the key far away from doors and windows I will be alright.

Other Options: Are there any deal breaker options that you would suggest adding to the spec, If I was looking to sell privately in a few years.... (how are parking sensors not standard on a car in this price bracket)?

Best colour: I am still undecided on what colour to get, I’ve had a lot of black cars in the past, but I’m not quite sure about it on the Sportback.

Deposit contribution: what are the chances of this amount increasing above the £800 mark for the S3 Sportback, I see the 3 door currently has a massive £2.2k contribution when taking out finance.

Thanks for reading, any feedback and advise would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: TDI-line and Audi Bairn
Hello mate, I'll answer what I can (in my own opinion of course)

Road Tax - Basically this is what's included in the 'list price' It includes options fitted by the manufacturer before delivery. It includes the delivery charge, the cost of the pre delivery inspection and VAT. It does not include an warrantees, options fitted by the dealer and the cost of the first registration fee and the first licence. if with all of that you're under £40k then as you say, first year £200 if that's the first year rate and then £140 thereafter, of over £40k then add another £310 for 5 years.

Virtual Cockpit - I've specc'd it, seen it on my brothers TTS and loved it, think personally it's probably personal preference. Some will want it others won't be fussed.

Best Colour - Has to be Ara Blue (don't listen to anybody else lol) followed by Daytona Grey and Floret Silver (not necessarily in that order) for me anyway.

Deposit Contribution - They may up it for the Sportback near the end but can't see it changing any time soon.

Reactions: MattSedg, Audi Bairn and trappyj
Hello mate, I'll answer what I can (in my own opinion of course)

Road Tax - Basically this is what's included in the 'list price' It includes options fitted by the manufacturer before delivery. It includes the delivery charge, the cost of the pre delivery inspection and VAT. It does not include an warrantees, options fitted by the dealer and the cost of the first registration fee and the first licence. if with all of that you're under £40k then as you say, first year £200 if that's the first year rate and then £140 thereafter, of over £40k then add another £310 for 5 years.

Virtual Cockpit - I've specc'd it, seen it on my brothers TTS and loved it, think personally it's probably personal preference. Some will want it others won't be fussed.

Best Colour - Has to be Ara Blue (don't listen to anybody else lol) followed by Daytona Grey and Floret Silver (not necessarily in that order) for me anyway.

Deposit Contribution - They may up it for the Sportback near the end but can't see it changing any time soon.

Virtual Cockpit does look cool think I'm going to get it.

Thanks for confirming the road tax. In a way the tax man is going to save me money as I won't be going mad with all the extras.

Reactions: Tom.H
Best colour was sepang but is now exclusive only :p

Re advanced key: If someone is gonna steal it, they will, regardless of what you put in place to stop it. Obviously don't hand it to them on a plate, but I also wouldn't let the worry of it put you off speccing that option. Many on here have it. It is a great feature! The keyless range on the key isn't any more than a metre I'd say, so you should be fine

Re deposit contrib.: Probably won't be increased (I don't think anyway) because that is the most popular model so they don't really need to offer much incentive, they know it will sell anyway. The 3dr as you mentioned is quite a lot less popular, hence the large contribution.

Re other options: I'd definitely look at folding mirrors, upgraded audio (B&O) and parking sensors. I also thing High Beam Assist is THE BEST value for money feature. Absolutely love it for what cost me ~£100 (can't remember exactly)

Reactions: trappyj and Tom.H
Hi everyone just joined today so sorry for this typical newbie 100 questions post;

A little about my car history, I have had a few VAG cars before but never an Audi, my most recent was a my12 Scirocco GT TSI, I was seriously gutted when I had to trade it in for a ‘practical family car’ (not a VAG); to add to my dismay I was then relegated to my Mrs’s old battered focus when the baby came along. Almost two long years later and I can finally get myself a nice car again.

VDCS: Does it work with the new S3 I have a Ross-Tech VDCS-HEX cable (will this still fit)?
I’ve not seen much mention of S3 model specific tweaks, have I missed the page?

Revo Stage 1 Map: has anyone had this done on the FL model yet? Is a Revo map more common on VW cars, if so what are the best software alternatives (I don’t want to fiddle around pugging a box into the engine though)?

2017 Road tax changes: If I keep the RRP with options under the 40k mark then first year road tax on the S tronic will be £200, falling to £145 for the years to follow?

Virtual cockpit: worth the price? I’m guessing it’s going to be standard on the new Golf R, I don’t want to regret not having it.

Advanced key: I want keyless entry but there are a lot of posts on here that are putting me off, am I right in thinking that if I keep the key far away from doors and windows I will be alright.

Other Options: Are there any deal breaker options that you would suggest adding to the spec, If I was looking to sell privately in a few years.... (how are parking sensors not standard on a car in this price bracket)?

Best colour: I am still undecided on what colour to get, I’ve had a lot of black cars in the past, but I’m not quite sure about it on the Sportback.

Deposit contribution: what are the chances of this amount increasing above the £800 mark for the S3 Sportback, I see the 3 door currently has a massive £2.2k contribution when taking out finance.

Thanks for reading, any feedback and advise would be greatly appreciated.
Would recommend the super sports seats and for me the privacy glass is a must.

We went for the B&O sound system but haven't really got anything to compare it against so can't really say one way or another.

Reactions: trappyj and azibux1
Best colour was sepang but is now exclusive only :p

Re advanced key: If someone is gonna steal it, they will, regardless of what you put in place to stop it. Obviously don't hand it to them on a plate, but I also wouldn't let the worry of it put you off speccing that option. Many on here have it. It is a great feature! The keyless range on the key isn't any more than a metre I'd say, so you should be fine

Re deposit contrib.: Probably won't be increased (I don't think anyway) because that is the most popular model so they don't really need to offer much incentive, they know it will sell anyway. The 3dr as you mentioned is quite a lot less popular, hence the large contribution.

Re other options: I'd definitely look at folding mirrors, upgraded audio (B&O) and parking sensors. I also thing High Beam Assist is THE BEST value for money feature. Absolutely love it for what cost me ~£100 (can't remember exactly)

Nice colour, but I'll look on the bright side one less colour to choose from.

I think once you get used to a car with advanced key it's hard to go back. It was funny when the mrs dropped me off and I had the key in my pocket (yes she ignored the beeps)

I was thinking B&O as well

Nice colour, but I'll look on the bright side one less colour to choose from.

I think once you get used to a car with advanced key it's hard to go back. It was funny when the mrs dropped me off and I had the key in my pocket (yes she ignored the beeps)
Ha true!

Exactly, if you're used to it now (or have been recently), you'd probably miss it

Also good point from @Milnesafc about privacy glass, I forgot that and personally have it. People say you can get it tinted with film cheaper afterwards but it is never as good as tinted glass itself (heater lines on rear window, edges, etc.)

Reactions: Milnesafc and trappyj
Would recommend the super sports seats and for me the privacy glass is a must.

We went for the B&O sound system but haven't really got anything to compare it against so can't really say one way or another.

I think privacy glass is a must, and aftermarket just isn't the same I agree. I'm not sure about the sport seats, am I the only person that doesn't like the look of them? Also from a practicality point of view do they take up more space? Sometimes I will have the baby in the back (obviously with the B&O system turned down)

Reactions: Milnesafc
I think privacy glass is a must, and aftermarket just isn't the same I agree. I'm not sure about the sport seats, am I the only person that doesn't like the look of them? Also from a practicality point of view do they take up more space? Sometimes I will have the baby in the back (obviously with the B&O system turned down)
Don't know mate, I have no intention of sitting in the back of the car so whether they took up extra space or not wasn't really a consideration, personally I think they look stunning but just my opinion. I think the best bit about the B&O system is the lighting built into the speakers. As someone mention on another thread you probably aren't going to notice the difference in sound quality if you have it set low listening to FM radio. There's a video on YouTube (link below) that someone has used to do a bass/treble test on the B&O Audi system, got to admit it did sound good.

Reactions: trappyj
@trappyj Welcome to the forums mate.

I'll try and answer some questions, but like Tom said, really is personal opinion.

If you're buying new, then I'd put 'tuning' off for a while, better to keep your warranty. But from what I've read Revo seem pretty good but I've not looked into massively.

Tom has pretty much answered your 2017 tax question. Also worth reading the 'March discounts' thread on here as that's got some good pointers for when you go to do a deal.

Virtual cockpit is worth it 100%. It's awesome and I'd imagine few Audis in the near future will leave the factory without it. I think it'll make life easier with day to day stuff but also help the resale.

Advanced key is also really good. I've had keyless on my Focus ST for 5 yrs and wouldn't have a car without it now. It's just so much easier to live with.

As for other options, I'd look at getting a Black Edition as you get the B&O sound system, privacy glass and BE wheels. Plus the black optics pack as well, I think it worked out cheaper to do this than adding it all individually. Finally, as mentioned, the Super sports seats are really cool and look amazing. Otherwise, just a set of rear parking sensors and that should be it. Have a loom at the spec in my signature and see if that helps.

Best colour? Daytona grey everyday. Ignore everyone else, they haven't a clue.

Deposit contribution is abit tight of the sport back. But hang out for a deal, as mentioned check out the thread about March discounts. You should be aiming for between 9-12% off a S3.

Have you taken one for a test drive yet?

Oh, and one major thing... S-Tronic box is a must in the S3 in my opinion. Be care,full of getting the larger wheels as you'll need to spec Mag Ride if you want them, but I a,so think this is a good option to have as well.

Feel free to ask as many questions as you'd like, everyone on here is really nice and helpful. It's been a god send whilst I'm waiting for mine otherwise I'd have driven the wife nuts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: trappyj, Sandra, Joe4842 and 1 other person
Mine's a saloon but I ordered it with tech pack +, privacy glass, parking + as well as some other bits.
I'll not try to tell you what's "best" as it's all personal taste. I've not once regretted getting Navarra, totally love it. The virtual cockpit was a must for me but others prefer analogue. Anyway here's a few pics. Good luck mate.
794feec833a54d824ad5d7879a8c2f77.jpg
17a3878794b6f0899b52bd0cbd5ec684.jpg
2d6d6350d64bc69a0a2bd88d4953cf5f.jpg
4389d71ac9797688cb72cd0a5b774705.jpg
ea1a8e3b1b1e0c646d62fbd14e26bb00.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: DrMal, pburv, Col Simpson and 1 other person

From comparing normal seats to SS seats in mine they do take a bit more space up at the back.

B&O is a must if you enjoy your music it sounds amazing and is very good at keeping road noise away with dynamic volume control

Virtual Cockpit is personal preference, I like it but I also love the traditional dials. I am going for virtual cockpit personally, willing to accept it's the future and it does look very good. I was surprised at how good it actually looked in person.

Advanced Key, I've always avoided it for the reasons you mention but think it comes down to preference. I have no problem inserting the key so don't really mind.

Other options, think as others said - stick to what you really need... parking sensors are a good option to be honest, useful when parking a 40k car just as a second opinion. I'll be opting for reverse camera as well. Super Sports seats in my opinion are well worth it in the S3.

Re road tax changes, yes thats right, less than 40k with options then you get the £145 rate or whatever it is.. soon as you go over the 40k mark you get kicked up the backside for an additional £450.

Reactions: pburv and Audi Bairn
Advanced key - I like it - it's nice. Range is less than a metre - you need to be right by the boot or door to get the unlock. One improvement would be to get the beep on lock / unlock via vcds to avoid a jammer; maybe a vcds lock as a last defence against key reprogram.

Reactions: Mark_86
Had advanced key on my last Audi which I owned for almost 3 yrs & shock horror never once stolen or tampered with!! To quote Public Enemy - Don't believe the hype!. :racer:

Reactions: azibux1, pburv and Mark_86
just to clarify what is it with the advanced key that people don't like/think is risky?

just to clarify what is it with the advanced key that people don't like/think is risky?
To oversimplify it's the same as contactless payments via your cash / credit card, having your supposedly secure data intercepted over the air either to empty your bank account or in the case of a car ease of gaining entry to steal it.

In my case 'the risk' was the other way around by getting back into the loan car after filling it with fuel & realising that I'd left the key in the ignition because I'd got used to not dealing with that malarkey anymore as I had keyless entry at that time (An A6 Allroad that loaner was too lol ).

I was advised not to bother with my sales guy..... said that Insurance is ridiculous when you factor that on top.

I was advised not to bother with my sales guy..... said that Insurance is ridiculous when you factor that on top.

That's BS. The insurance company has no idea what options you have on your car. As far as they're concerned, it's an S3... all they know is the reg, colour and year it was made. Sorry, but he fed you some duff info there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Flying Scotsman and Audi Bairn
That's BS. The insurance company has no idea what options you have on your car. As far as they're concerned, it's an S3... all they know is the reg, colour and year it was made. Sorry, but he fed you some duff info there.

Mark, I always thought that was true but when my bro phoned Direct Line for a quote on his TTS they asked what options he had and how much they were, then adjusted his quote/excess based on that!

Reactions: Mark_86 and Audi Bairn
Mark, I always thought that was true but when my bro phoned Direct Line for a quote on his TTS they asked what options he had and how much they were, then adjusted his quote/excess based on that!

Really? I have never had that... really is news to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Audi Bairn

Not disagreeing with you Tom but we've had TT's, S5 and S3 all with DL and they've never asked about options but I can only speak for our personal experience. Usually it's non-factory fitted mods they ask about. Maybe just the call handler your bro got going rogue lol :smiley:

Reactions: Flying Scotsman, Mark_86 and Tom.H
Thanks Everyone for the helpful replies and information;

Sorry to kick of the whole advanced key drama, I have had it in the past, but never really thought about it being a security risk, that being said I don't keep my cards in a lead wallet to stop people skimming £30 out of my account (maybe I should)? I guess the more tech that comes along the more ways for dishonest people find to take advantage of this.

@Milnesafc cheers for the video, the lights do look cool on the B&O

@Mark_86 No test drive yet, the dealer has had to order a new s-tronic one in as they just sold the last one (no big deal as I'd like to wait till March and know that as soon as I drive it I'll be getting my wallet out) 19' wheels are a no for me, I specced them on my roc and although they looked great it made the ride even harder and worked out another 50+ quid a tyre (went through about 10 in the space of 3 years, I blame living in Milton Keynes the land of roundabouts not my heavy right foot) my Mrs is already sick of me talking about cars and I haven't even started the long wait yet.

@Audi Bairn great photos; that car is a beaut! would love the saloon but unfortunately not practical for me because of the dog.

Ok so I think I have made my mind up on the car: Privacy glass, Rear view camera, Advanced key, Folding door mirrors, High beam assistant, Audi parking system plus, Bang + Olufsen advanced sound system, Technology pack advanced only thing is the colour I'm torn between the Daytona grey and the Navarra blue

Reactions: Audi Bairn and azibux1
Not disagreeing with you Tom but we've had TT's, S5 and S3 all with DL and they've never asked about options but I can only speak for our personal experience. Usually it's non-factory fitted mods they ask about. Maybe just the call handler your bro got going rogue lol :smiley:

In the Colonies, the insurance company ask's for the VIN....that tells them all they need to know about your vehicle

Nice spec trappj

Reactions: Audi Bairn, trappyj and azibux1
Agreed, good spec list! :D

Was that done over the phone mate? I'm tempted to ring them to do it, need to see how much it's gonna be anyway in preparation. Only paid about £365 for the R32 this year :smiley:

I don't see why he would put me off something that would only benefit his pocket with commission on the overall sale.
I can kinda see why Insurance companies would want to know if this is fitted.... keyless entry has had its negatives as well as positives with flaws in the security of it all.

Was that done over the phone mate? I'm tempted to ring them to do it, need to see how much it's gonna be anyway in preparation. Only paid about £365 for the R32 this year :smiley:

All phone calls except the S3. Get an online quote before calling them as it'll almost certainly be cheaper and you can bargain using it on the phone call.

Reactions: Tom.H
After a 2+ hour unaccompanied test drive, I decided on the spec and placed my order.

S3 TFSI Quattro S Tronic S3 Sportback

Daytona grey
Audi parking system plus
Technology pack advanced
Bang + Olufsen advanced sound system
Folding door mirrors
Advanced key
Privacy glass

Now the long wait is on (hopefully the dealer can edit an order so I can jump the queue)

Thanks again to all of you that gave me advise.

Reactions: Joe4842, BigBill, azibux1 and 4 others
All phone calls except the S3. Get an online quote before calling them as it'll almost certainly be cheaper and you can bargain using it on the phone call.
I went with Admiral and rang back to check as I started to panick when reading on their website as it states any modification from standard. They confirmed its any additional parts / modifications that fitted after the cars built and are not Audi parts.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
After a 2+ hour unaccompanied test drive, I decided on the spec and placed my order.

S3 TFSI Quattro S Tronic S3 Sportback

Daytona grey
Audi parking system plus
Technology pack advanced
Bang + Olufsen advanced sound system
Folding door mirrors
Advanced key
Privacy glass

Now the long wait is on (hopefully the dealer can edit an order so I can jump the queue)

Thanks again to all of you that gave me advise.
Excellent! Hope the wait ain't too long.

I went with Admiral and rang back to check as I started to panick when reading on their website as it states any modification from standard. They confirmed its any additional parts / modifications that fitted after the cars built and are not Audi parts.

Believe each insurer is different, Aviva class a modification as anything added after purchasing the car whereas Direct Line class a modification as anything different to base spec i.e. any factory fitted options!

Won't be going with Direct Line then.

All boils down to total price, like for like quotes - Aviva over £1000, DL under £600 although would need to discuss extras…