Changes to car tax, anyone actually understand it?

maxdrz400

Reaction score
Ok guys, so ive just found out that the government our finding new ways to shaft motorists, and plan to have a shake up of the vehicle tax system.
Firstly does anybody actually understand this? as im struggling to (must be a bit thick)
And secondly from what i can work out my car tax (2.0tfsi quattro) will be £500 for the first year, if im currently paying £270 which i think i am, if im paying £295 it will go up to £650....... either way not great!

It might be worth clarifying that the new rates only apply to cars registered after April 2017.

Cars registered before this date won't change to the new rates.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-ne...everything-you-need-to-know-about-uk-road-tax

Don't panic, it only applies to cars registered from April onwards. First year it will be more expensive, in some cases a lot more expensive, but goes down to a flat rate of £140 from year 2 so that's actually not too bad IMO. Bad news for cars listing at £40K plus though, they attract an extra £310, so £450 total for the first 5 or 6 years.

Owners of cars registered before then will continue to be ripped off as normal under the present scheme.

Last edited:
Reactions: KrisKrk and carlcall
So the table titled pre april 17 that says a tax inflation, when it says "first year" is that first year registered or first year of the changes?
I cant get my head around it, so will my tax drop then to £140?

More bean counters and number crunchers looking for new ways to rip us off..............thanks a bunch :(

Reactions: ryno1
So the table titled pre april 17 that says a tax inflation, when it says "first year" is that first year registered or first year of the changes?

First year the car is registered. So if your car is in band J, the first owner of your car paid £500 for the first year they owned it, then they and you and any other owners will pay £270 every year for the rest of the cars life.

Unfortunately not, your current car will stay on the present system, the new system only applies to cars registered from 1/4/17.

It's a bummer, my 08 A4 costs about £280 and I've no doubt it'll continue to rise above inflation.

Thanks for the reply mate, and yeah mine is alot more than id like it to be, i just feel sorry for the s4 guys!!

I wish mine went to £140! Smart move as the cost gets lost in all the other purchase costs and excitement and then most people only keep a car 2 or 3 years so they make a mint.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk