MMI CarPlay and audi connect

S.line

Reaction score
Hi. I've asked a couple of questions regarding this but I can't for the life of me get my head round it! My car is registered for connect and is supposed to have a 3 year sim (or connect) subscription with the car. I can see the audi connect options when I connect to my phone wifi hotspot (I don't think the sim is active). I can also connect my iPhone 6 phone via USB to CarPlay. Both have their own great features. The news for the wife to keep her eyes off my speedo is one of the connect ones! Problem is I can't use them both together. In the CarPlay I can see the MMI app but the audi connect won't work.

Any ideas? Please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone having issues or getting along with these?

I don't use CarPlay at all for this reason.
It strips so much function from the mmi that I can't do without.

I use them both, the only time there is an issue is when CarPlay is enabled you cannot use the mmi for phone calls or texts.
You can use Nav, radio, media, Audi connect etc.

I use them both for different things.

Might just turn CarPlay off then. In my last audi if I held home screen on phone I could use Siri thru the MMI mic for calls/texts. Might try that. Cheers. Any ideas on the 3 year connect? Is this sim or just use of connect? What sim do you use or do you just connect to your phone hotspot?

Last edited:
I use CarPlay with Siri for calls and texts, just hold the phone button on the steering wheel for a couple of seconds to get Siri.

My car does not have built in Sim I purchased a 12 gb three sim which is about to be used up. I have a 24gb 24 month one to replace it. Bought it on amazon, not expensive. I think it's google maps that gobbles the data.

Hi. I've asked a couple of questions regarding this but I can't for the life of me get my head round it! My car is registered for connect and is supposed to have a 3 year sim (or connect) subscription with the car. I can see the audi connect options when I connect to my phone wifi hotspot (I don't think the sim is active). I can also connect my iPhone 6 phone via USB to CarPlay. Both have their own great features. The news for the wife to keep her eyes off my speedo is one of the connect ones! Problem is I can't use them both together. In the CarPlay I can see the MMI app but the audi connect won't work.

Any ideas? Please

You can't have Bluetooth connection to your iPhone (which is needed for the hotspot) and CarPlay via USB at the same time. Therefore, if you have your iPhone plugged into the USB connection for CarPlay then there will be no internet connection to the car for internet-based function such as Audi Connect.

In my car I have the Audi SIM in the slot which the MMI uses for Audi Connect, Google Maps, etc. and I plug my iPhone into the USB cable supplied with the car in the centre console to get CarPlay, make calls, etc. I find Siri is much more responsive and seems to understand more of what I say than the Audi Voice system which pretty well always misunderstands me.

I really can't understand why they can't make the MMI use the iPhone internet connection over USB when connected via that rather than Bluetooth.

I use CarPlay with Siri for calls and texts, just hold the phone button on the steering wheel for a couple of seconds to get Siri.

My car does not have built in Sim I purchased a 12 gb three sim which is about to be used up. I have a 24gb 24 month one to replace it. Bought it on amazon, not expensive. I think it's google maps that gobbles the data.

How long did you find the 12GB SIM last?

For your audi sim, my car had 3 years audi connect included but it won't work unless I connect to external wifi. Is this how it should be?

You can setup a wifi hot spot on your phone and connect the mmi to that. Unless you have a large allowance it will gobble up data.
I have used nearly 12gb in 9 months and about 7000 miles, I think its google earth that uses it mostly but I am not sure.

Not sure what the audi sim does as it wasn't available on mine, all my data comes from my sim.

The three 24gb SIM is about £40 and lasts up to 2 years.
Works out a lot cheaper for me not having a contract.