Dipstick problem - not sure if serious or not....

Potatopete

Reaction score
Afternoon all.
Went to check my oil at lunchtime, and as I pulled out the dipstick, the top of the dipstick housing and the (approx 9 inch) pipe underneath which leads straight into the sump broke away. The plastic is so brittle it just crumbles in my hand.

So my question is, will I have problems driving the car the next couple of days? I have put the dipstick back with the remaining bit of pipe, but obviously it's just resting on the top of the sump. Will all my oil come out through this whole?

(Sorry if this is a dumb question, don't know much about this side of engines)

Thanks folks.

You'll be fine mate, just need to take the sump off to retrieve old dipstick and buy a new one to replace what's been broken. Not expensive parts

Thanks for your reply, but it's not the dipstick that's broken.
It's the pipe which guides the dipstick into the sump.
My worry really is whether I'm ok to drive the car while there's nothing properly attached to the whole in the top of the sump which the dipstick goes into.

You'll lose oil from the top of the sump, where the dipstick tube has sheared off.

Ah I see!
Sorry about that.

Should be ok, engine might run a little rough due to vacuum.
Replacing it will be easier, unbolt he housing pull out put new one in bolt in job done

order a new one from ebay , in the mean time . take the tube and diptick out and plug it with a rubber bung , wine stopper lol