In a predicament...

100% correct andytt, and I do agree! But when at 88% FULL chat Mid Wales on a chilly sub 7ºC (snow on the roadsides) day a digital dash just doesn't matter one iota: PLUS both me and mine and BLUEY are ALL now OLD and DATED!

I guess a digital dash in a car park somewhere nice, is nice.

Couple of year back on the A5 toward Wales and BLUEY was overtaking a 'group' at pace and RS3copilot asked "how fast were we going there" and I replied "way too fast too look": so I don't believe a digital dash would have helped. But then I'm old....

Give an RS3 the 'beans' over Welsh roads and you'll not be looking at a digital dash, I'm a guessing; eyes focused on the road ahead, EVO Trianle an' all...

View attachment 115744

Forgetting the horrendous understeer in the 8P of course. The 8v is a significant step on

Forgetting the horrendous understeer in the 8P of course. The 8v is a significant step on

In truth TerryCTR I've never had understeer or felt the front end slipping away in my own RS3 while driving on public roads; neither have I experienced it in other RS3s, either 8P or 8V. And I do have a local evaluation route that has some nasty off-camber corners and camber-changing roundabouts that I'll hook any RS3 around, several times, until other traffic comes along to stop me; as some here will testify.

Back in April 2013 a group of some eleven 8P RS3 met at Ruthin and drove to CYG Karting at Cerrigydrudion to exercise our cars on their Go Kart track:

Understeer 1

Understeer 2

Now bearing in mind it was early April and there was snow in the road verges and hillsides, and wet, not once did I sense any form of understeer and not once did I hear of anyone complain of such; and most were on STD setup of 8J rims and Continental tyres.

Since that meeting I changed to 8.5J fronts and MPSS (summer) and have recently added an 034 Motorsport ARB (rear Anti-Roll Bar) and still I don't get understeer.

Maybe it's because I get all of my braking done before the corner and then drive through and out of, but that's a maybe.

I have however had understeer in an RS4, RS6, TTRS Plus, and R8V10 plus on a very wet and cold Silverstone Audi Experience circuit but only because some manic German instructor was telling us to "GO faster" and do something utterly incomprehensible so we could see how good the Audi quattro system was/is.

Understeer 5

But with my 8P RS3, nope; I just don't get this "horrendous understeer" comment at all, sorry...

BUT! Someone with a brand new Aston Martin trying to do the same as our 8P RS3 on the EVO Triangle back in April 2013;

Understeer 3

Understeer 4

That's what I call understeer! Or was it oversteer?

For sure the 8P RS3 was faster and we ALL got home safely...

Reactions: Bristle Hound, Spaceman_RS3, Snake Pliskin and 1 other person
"Horrendous under-steer" a myth perpetuated by non RS3 drivers ;)

TX.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and 45bvtc
If you drive it like a balloon then I am sure you will find understeer. As with every other car on the road! They are all set up (yes even those RWD BMW's) for 'safe' understeer...

I feel my Scirocco has more understeer than the RS3, but then that is FWD.

In truth TerryCTR I've never had understeer or felt the front end slipping away in my own RS3 while driving on public roads; neither have I experienced it in other RS3s, either 8P or 8V. And I do have a local evaluation route that has some nasty off-camber corners and camber-changing roundabouts that I'll hook any RS3 around, several times, until other traffic comes along to stop me; as some here will testify.

Back in April 2013 a group of some eleven 8P RS3 met at Ruthin and drove to CYG Karting at Cerrigydrudion to exercise our cars on their Go Kart track:

View attachment 115794

View attachment 115795

Now bearing in mind it was early April and there was snow in the road verges and hillsides, and wet, not once did I sense any form of understeer and not once did I hear of anyone complain of such; and most were on STD setup of 8J rims and Continental tyres.

Since that meeting I changed to 8.5J fronts and MPSS (summer) and have recently added an 034 Motorsport ARB (rear Anti-Roll Bar) and still I don't get understeer.

Maybe it's because I get all of my braking done before the corner and then drive through and out of, but that's a maybe.

I have however had understeer in an RS4, RS6, TTRS Plus, and R8V10 plus on a very wet and cold Silverstone Audi Experience circuit but only because some manic German instructor was telling us to "GO faster" and do something utterly incomprehensible so we could see how good the Audi quattro system was/is.

View attachment 115796
But with my 8P RS3, nope; I just don't get this "horrendous understeer" comment at all, sorry...

BUT! Someone with a brand new Aston Martin trying to do the same as our 8P RS3 on the EVO Triangle back in April 2013;

That's what I call understeer! Or was it oversteer?

For sure the 8P RS3 was faster and we ALL got home safely...

Bluey becomes reddy?? Hahaha

I've seen plenty of videos giving evidence of the understeer! But that doesn't stop me wanting one as I'm not after a track Day weapon. I want it because it's a classy motor with an epic engine.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin, Ozmosis and 45bvtc
BLUEY is ALWAYS ready, Oz'; good to read you're enjoying yours... :racer:

Sure am, so much so that a photo at the minute is not in the cards! It's Brown! LoL

TX.
Too true that mate. Though I don't really rag mine, and have no need to take it on a track etc - I think it drives perfect.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin, Terminator x, Ozmosis and 1 other person

TX.

How do you know I've not had the please of driving an 8P - which is what I commented on :shrug:

Don't worry I never mentioned anything about the beloved 8V and would own myself if I didn't miss the boat. I may well own the FL SB (I await you to try and shoot me down on that like everyone else who dares to mention it) :rapture:

Tears of joy as they say

Well this is the 8V section ;) it really doesn't understeer though, never had it in over 21k miles.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
Well this is the 8V section ;) it really doesn't understeer though, never had it in over 21k miles.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Exactly and yet the 8P has been mentioned a few times now in long winded posts

Again, I'm not saying the 8V, if I had been patient I would have owned one myself. It may not be the best handling car in the world but it's ample for the road, 5 door practicality and of course the 5 cyl soundtrack - what's not to love :sunglasses:

Reactions: 45bvtc and Terminator x
It may not be the best handling car in the world but it's ample for the road, 5 door practicality and of course the 5 cyl soundtrack - what's not to love :sunglasses:

Beautifully put TerryCTR, beautifully put; "what's not to love" about an Audi RS3.
4200.gif

If I ever find anything more suited to my needs then for sure I'll have it; but for me, in 5-years of Audi RS3 ownership, that just hasn't happened, yet...

Beautifully put TerryCTR, beautifully put; "what's not to love" about an Audi RS3.
4200.gif

If I ever find anything more suited to my needs then for sure I'll have it; but for me, in 5-years of Audi RS3 ownership, that just hasn't happened, yet...

If they produce a FL SB I'll be ordering! In the meantime I'm waiting on my TTS being built for delivery in March so that will tide me over until we see what happens with coolant gate. The saloon just isn't for me so with some luck the SB rumors become reality!

Reactions: 45bvtc
I went round Caldwell Park as a passenger back in 2015 and my god the RS3 had staggering cornering speed & due to Cadwell being a very tight twisty track it was lapping quicker than the R8 (albeit V8).

Knowing what the RS3 is calable of on track impressed the hell outa me even though I would never drive it like that on public roads .. just knowing what it can do both impressed & reassured me .. as 45bvtc what other car does everything like the RS3 does :sunglasses:

Reactions: Terminator x and 45bvtc
I went round Caldwell Park as a passenger back in 2015 and my god the RS3 had staggering cornering speed & due to Cadwell being a very tight twisty track it was lapping quicker than the R8 (albeit V8).

Knowing what the RS3 is calable of on track impressed the hell outa me even though I would never drive it like that on public roads .. just knowing what it can do both impressed & reassured me .. as 45bvtc what other car does everything like the RS3 does :sunglasses:

The RS3 can actually be quite fun but you have to have the nerve to drive it hard enough and then let the cars 4wd systems sort it out for you.
Checkout the link below of the track test, at around 2 mins he starts to slide the car about for a bit of fun.

Reactions: Scottyg, Snake Pliskin and 45bvtc
^ I don't think any of us should be trying that!

Well I've also been in a predicament for close to a year now, following a complete balls up on Audi's part meaning that I never got my RS3 that I ordered back in April last year.

So, after endless debating on whether to wait for the FL, I've put a deposit down on a low mileage 16 plate in Panther Black with black styling pack, comfort, sound and technology packs, supersports seats, titanium rotors etc, and of course, the all important dynamic pack.

I've test driven RS3's and seen them in various colours, but not a Panther Black in the flesh, and I've put the deposit down subject to viewing and gambling that I'll like it. I know it's a colour that causes quite a bit of debate!

Reactions: Scottyg, Snake Pliskin and ComputerControlled
Black is a fantastic colour as long as you are prepared to put in lots of TLC on the paintwork. Lovely when clean and gleaming, but it won't stay that way for long!
Plenty photos when you view it!

Reactions: Bristle Hound, Snake Pliskin and D0C
Well I've also been in a predicament for close to a year now, following a complete balls up on Audi's part meaning that I never got my RS3 that I ordered back in April last year.

So, after endless debating on whether to wait for the FL, I've put a deposit down on a low mileage 16 plate in Panther Black with black styling pack, comfort, sound and technology packs, supersports seats, titanium rotors etc, and of course, the all important dynamic pack.

I've test driven RS3's and seen them in various colours, but not a Panther Black in the flesh, and I've put the deposit down subject to viewing and gambling that I'll like it. I know it's a colour that causes quite a bit of debate!

You'll NOT even think about the colour when you're drivin' it...

Enjoy.

Good move D0C you won't regret it. Forget about all this F/L this and that blah blah time wasting talk - it's all about the now.
Panther black is a beauty of a colour too! Get a good quality ceramic coat on it, and it will help no end to keep it clean and swirl free.

Happy days mine is panther black with black style pack. The colour is amazing doc on a dull winter day just looks gloss black any light on it it flips to purples and green. Shine your phones fkasj over the paint and smile it's really class in summer it looks mostly purple

Easy to keep clean with the g technique serum black coat is also

Happy days mine is panther black with black style pack. The colour is amazing doc on a dull winter day just looks gloss black any light on it it flips to purples and green. Shine your phones fkasj over the paint and smile it's really class in summer it looks mostly purple
Does it still look mostly black in ordinary light? Looking forward to it now...I'm accepting the fact all you girls and guys say it's an epic car to own!

Reactions: Swipe18 and 45bvtc
Yea at night looks gloss black until street light or petrol station type lights hit it and will go a dark purple,

It's a really deep colour

I had panther black on a TTS and it is a superb black :sunglasses:

Reactions: 45bvtc and D0C
Panther sparkle :)

IMG 2031

IMG 2032

Reactions: Scottyg and 45bvtc
I'd love to see one next to a Mythos to get a good comparison.

I'd love to see one next to a Mythos to get a good comparison.

Drive yours as you ought, DOC, and I doubt you'll ever get the chance
4790.gif
to compare.

When are you collecting, DOC?

And when do we get
6173.gif
the pics?

So picked her up today and first thoughts are...wow, it's INSANELY loud. I'd driven one without the dynamic pack and even then took it pretty steady. But I just wasn't prepared for how loud it is. The videos make it sound not even half as loud as it is in person. Why someone would ever consider an aftermarket exhaust is beyond me...are they trying to wake the dead?

Other first thoughts. Compared to my Golf R the steering is a little vague, not too bad though. The brakes do seem a bit of a weak point. It's classier inside and out and the Panther Black paint simply stunning. Again, the pics just don't get that across. Oh, and the extra gear is handy on the motorway.

I'll have to get some pics up at some point but it's already filthy and I'm not the best at keeping my cars clean!

Reactions: Scottyg, Beebee-one, 45bvtc and 1 other person
Get it ceramic coated pronto doc really worth it esp with the panther black.
Makes it so easy to keep clean and fresh waxed look. Pictures of panther just don't cut it in general

Reactions: Scottyg
So picked her up today and first thoughts are...wow, it's INSANELY loud. I'd driven one without the dynamic pack and even then took it pretty steady. But I just wasn't prepared for how loud it is. The videos make it sound not even half as loud as it is in person. Why someone would ever consider an aftermarket exhaust is beyond me...are they trying to wake the dead?

Other first thoughts. Compared to my Golf R the steering is a little vague, not too bad though. The brakes do seem a bit of a weak point. It's classier inside and out and the Panther Black paint simply stunning. Again, the pics just don't get that across. Oh, and the extra gear is handy on the motorway.

I'll have to get some pics up at some point but it's already filthy and I'm not the best at keeping my cars clean!

Doc,
Well done on a great choice.
The 5 cylinder engine makes it a very addictive machine which is further complimented by a really good sports exhaust from Audi. It's not a perfect package but then what cars actually are? The guys that have been waiting, waiting, waiting and waiting some more for the appearance of a FL version, really have been missing out all this time on such a fun car to own. Possibly even a classic Audi RS car???

Reactions: Terminator x, Spaceman_RS3, 45bvtc and 1 other person
Get it ceramic coated pronto doc really worth it esp with the panther black.
Makes it so easy to keep clean and fresh waxed look. Pictures of panther just don't cut it in general
Wondering if it's already had some coating. There's not a swirl mark on it, albeit only 3000 miles old. Is there any way to tell if it has been coated?

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3
Doc,
Glad you like and enjoying your new machine, I collect mines this afternoon and looking forward to it,also comes with the sports exhaust which supposedly de limits the cars speed to 174mph.
Though of course that's makes no difference at all.

also comes with the sports exhaust which supposedly de limits the cars speed to 174mph.
Only if it's the Dynamic Package Plus, which is pretty rare because it cost an extra grand over the regular dynamic package.

Dynamic package. Contains: - Audi Magnetic Ride with RS Sports suspension – continuously adapts the suspension damping to the changing driving situation. It does this automatically and in just a few fractions of a second by means of an electronically controlled magnetic field. Suspension tuning can be adjusted via Audi drive select in 3 settings – Comfort, Auto and Dynamic - RS Sports Exhaust System – further enhances the engine sound with a 2-branch design with chrome oval tailpipes: £1,495.00

Dynamic package plus. Contains all of the items in the dynamic package with the addition of the Top Speed derestrictor which offers a top speed of 174mph: £2,495.00

Well who ever specced the car when they bought it new must of spent a few quid on it as that's what it has,also has the red brake calipers,SS Seats,Carbon engine cover an air box,as well as Carbon interior inlays.
Which I heard was rare also from terminator.

Well who ever specced the car when they bought it new must of spent a few quid on it as that's what it has,also has the red brake calipers,SS Seats,Carbon engine cover an air box,as well as Carbon interior inlays.
Which I heard was rare also from terminator.
Get those windows down and give it the beans. I'm still staggered how loud it is. Although (and this might be controversial) the noise in comfort mode with the exhaust flaps closed is probably a more cultured sound and also epic.

Don't pick it up till later today Doc, and it's ******* down too