Opinion - change wheels?

Greg Goulding

Reaction score
I've got a 5 day old S4 with the 18 inch wheels, but after seeing so many on here with the 19s, I'm thinking of changing.

What do you reckon? It'll cost a few K to change, but guess the originals are worth a fair bit too.

Thoughts...

7eb97c27136c33fb35fdd787e9a52d31.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only a question you could possibly answer. They look fine. Why chip away at any ride comfort

Reactions: Keef, xpoweruk and gbrown
It does ride well. Maybe fellow S4 owners could comment on the ride with 19s? They don't look as good when dirty though.
2f138318937362a97172b04c84691a4c.jpg

I like but I'm going to say that mines coming with them.

I originally wanted to change the order but now I'm thinking at least mine will be different and unique.

Only thing I don't like is them been 18s.

I also haven't seen them in person so I'm guessing by this post they don't look good ?

I like but I'm going to say that mines coming with them.

I originally wanted to change the order but now I'm thinking at least mine will be different and unique.

Only thing I don't like is them been 18s.

I also haven't seen them in person so I'm guessing by this post they don't look good ?

Wow an S4 owner younger than me!

In person they look really good - better than pics and the Audi configurator (I'm sure we've all spent too long on there!). But the 19s look so much more aggressive and RS4 like.
I did like the 18s for not being too flash - don't like to look like I've got too much dosh!

Also with mine been a lease and they sting if you kerb, I was thinking of buying some of these reps if I really didn't like them and then just put the originals back on when came to handing back.
6cf919bc1021b422678d22896868ee8b.png

I would say there's nothing wrong with them being 18", they look plenty big enough for the car, and they will give a slightly better ride, especially on the normal Sport suspension. The question is whether you like the style or not. I went with the cheaper 19" option, despite them being 19" rather than because, as I liked the normal alloy wheel look, but I'm not keen on the tendency to over wheel nowadays (or rather under tyre)!

I would have stuck with 18" wheels if they had any unpainted non-diamond cut choices. Some of the A4 wheels are nice, but you can't order them on the S4, just the 3 diamond cut ones and the one 19" non-diamond cut I went with.

Geoff

Also with mine been a lease and they sting if you kerb, I was thinking of buying some of these reps if I really didn't like them and then just put the originals back on when came to handing back.
6cf919bc1021b422678d22896868ee8b.png

I've got a buddy with a Merc C63 AMG that had reps. They didn't last long!!

Wow an S4 owner younger than me!

In person they look really good - better than pics and the Audi configurator (I'm sure we've all spent too long on there!). But the 19s look so much more aggressive and RS4 like.
I did like the 18s for not being too flash - don't like to look like I've got too much dosh!

Haha I'm not changing them till it comes so I'll have to wait and see

I know what your saying about been too flash, I live in small village and the village gossips are bad enough. I'm actually hoping it comes before march 1st just so it doesn't look like I've got a brand new car on a 17 plate haha

I have the 19s, and don't think the ride is harsh at all , quite smooth and comfortable actually. My M140 rode way harsher, and it 18s.
Personally I think Rims can make or break a car. And the 19s transform the cars look for sure.
If it's the ride comfort that's stopping you, don't let it.
Just my personal preference.

Reactions: Brasso and Daggerit
Haven driven both, the 18's are more comfortable, the ride is harsher on the 19's.
Personally I went for looks over comfort, but them 18's are nice, so I wouldn't pay to change them

Reactions: gbrown and Nath.S4
Haha I'm not changing them till it comes so I'll have to wait and see

I know what your saying about been too flash, I live in small village and the village gossips are bad enough. I'm actually hoping it comes before march 1st just so it doesn't look like I've got a brand new car on a 17 plate haha

All I'm going to say... wait for the noise. Between me and my mates, we've had 911s, ferarris, AMGs and jap cars, and it's so much better. That's all that matters!

Reactions: Nath.S4
They actually don't look bad in the photos, sort of like an extended development of the very popular Rotor style. The 18's will give slightly better mpg and lower CO2 too. I don't think the 19's are harsh although I do have the adaptive suspension and even in dynamic mode, the ride is firmer but still very comfortable. For me, the 19's are still super quiet (I previously thought my wife's A3 was quiet but it sounds like it's driving on gravel in comparison to the 19's on mine).

It's entirely your personal choice though!

Those stock 18s look heaps nicer in the flesh than in the configurator. Personally don't like spending a lot on wheels as if you kerb them it is gutting - you also can't see them when you're driving! :)

It's definitely a first world problem but also definitely your personal decision.

Enjoy the motoring!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I've got the RS 19s and I do think they fill the 'hole' better. They ride well actually but I'm comparing to the B8.5 S4 which was ****** rough! Haha.

I'm looking to lower as well. KW springs.

Reactions: Keef
For me personally, now that the seed of doubt has been planted I would have to change them! I know it's each to there own and there's lots of valid reason why people go with the 18s but I don't like the style of them.
if financial reasons permit I think the 19s look better on the S4.
That said I have both 19s & 18s for my B8.5 S4 and whilst the 19s look better, the car feels a lot nicer to drive on the 18s.
If changing I would have to go OEM ££!!

Reactions: Thundercliffe81 and duckduck
Interesting Video:

Reactions: pierreluigi88 and Nath.S4
I like my 19" and on the sport suspension ride is great and overall much better than the 19"s on my S3. I had many years in RS Megane's and they were very very firm on 19's.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Keef and RRB
Agree with @Brasso - coming from an S3 the S4 with 19's is a marked improvement. Plus they look the part of course, which is the most important thing after all :rockwoot:

Reactions: pierreluigi88, Brasso and Keef
I've never understood the draw to 19's on a performance car TBH.18's are best all round performance wise 19's just for show,20's cuz ya mad lol

Reactions: duckduck, gbrown, Nath.S4 and 1 other person