DV oil at base

weerabmc

Reaction score
//cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5889f59193dac/IMAG0544.jpg?

Hi everyone. Have been looking through Audi Sports net forums for a while now. Well the last 3 months while waiting on the car I have wanted for years to appear for sale locally. Finally got my mits on a 2000 A3 1.8t Quattro. Got it for a good price as I knew a little work would be required. It is however a nice tidy car for the age and I well happy.

This is my first Turbo car and just have a couple of questions. End of month pay packet is due and I am looking to complete and oil, spark plug and coolant change. Going with Quantum Platinum, G12 Coolant and Bosch Super 4 plugs. Only reason I'm doing this is I would like to know everything is nice clean and start of a new life for my A3. Am a little OCD in this respect lol.

The car is standard as far as I am aware and fitted with a K&N cone filter and after market DV. Type of DV I am unsure.

I am having an issue with hesitation on acceleration, it seams to start just under 3000rpm and continues to 3400rpm, everywhere else on rev range seams normal. This happens in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear. Have read around here that Boost Leaks, Maf sensor, Coil Packs and Diverter Valves are causes of this. So this morning I decided to have a wee look around under the bonnet. I think I have found the DV Valve. Located at top of engine at back. Have posted a pic to be sure. Unsure what type this is? Thing is there is oil on the base of it. Could this possibly be the issue of the hesitation? Should I maybe invest in a new DV? Thinking a genuine Audi one. Are these serviceable or once it's gone has it to be binned?

I also read that certain pipes carrying oil have a tendency to clog up. Should I take time and go through pipes one by one cleaning them out. Or maybe my OCD is just going into overdrive.

Thank you for reading any help or pointers you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Wee Rab.

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Tapatalk

Thanks Gazwould. New to these. Had seen the Long Life III mentioned around the forum but just seamed to see Platinum more. Probly just a newer upgraded brand then. Will take that on board when changing.

More importantly change the oil pump pick up pipe.
That's more than likely the oil pipe blocking up your referring to

Last edited:
Reactions: Gazwould
Thanks for the advice. Will get a look at pick up when I drop the oil. Was also thinking about running a flush through just to remove any old gunk left behind. NGK plugs should I go for the Iridium ones? Sorry just getting back now. Had a wee doze and baby keeping me proper busy while mummy is at work.

Aye... BPR6EIX... std are platinums... no real need for 7's until 300hp+ tbh

<tuffty/>

Reactions: weerabmc
Thank you tuffty will defo get them ones then. Cheers for your help.

The oil pick up pipe requires taking off the sump - its not a 5 minute job,

I use engine flush on my S3 - although many people say if does nothing - or does damage, but I have not changed my sump or pick-up pipe as there are 3 awkward cap heads that are commonly a pain when removing the sump.

good luck and enjoy your new toy.

Cheers Stuart. Yea been looking at the job of taking it off. At least once it's done won't need to look in there again so long as I keep up the regular oil changes. Have used flush myself in previous cars, usually leave them over night to drain it out and then use a cheap oil for a final flush before putting the proper oil in. Never gave me issues before either but this is a first on a turbo so probably put cheap oil through twice just to be sure.