I need a bkd engine what head code is better so i dont get pourus head

Ady786

Reaction score
Hi i need a bkd replacement engine and was woundering whats the best head code so i dont get pourus head issues later

The head changed from part number *** *** *** A (weakest) to revision B (better) to revision C (best).
I wouldn't bother with anything other than a C personally.
Once the engine cover has been lifted off the cylinder head part number is easily visible near the metal fuel pipes running parallel to the head as it is cast into the metal.

thanks for that info my car shattered the turbo resulting in engine damage i need to replace it i was woundering will the milage of engine make a differnce on running of engine im going to get a second hand engine

Look for a 2006 BKD engine or later, should be a C head. 100,000 mile engine will be ok as it's a derv. As always with buying engines, if you can hear it running before removal from the old car, all the better. These engines are not prone to head gasket failures so don't remove the head for the sake of it but do fit a new cambelt and water pump before the engine goes in.

Reactions: Broken Byzan
The ones ive found are between 83k to 113k is it ok at around that milage or should i look for one with lower milage

Although ideally the lower the mileage the better I'd say what's more important is whether it has a good service history / evidence of regular oil & filter changes etc.
Don't forget that these cars were often run on long service intervals (20K) using long-life oil so an engine might only have had a handful of oil changes in its entire life!
Proof of regular oil changes shows it has been well looked after.
I'd also endorse the course of action outlined by SootySport above, a new cam belt and pump whilst you are at it (unless the engine has received one in the very recent past) would be a very wise move as it would be so easy to do whilst the engine is out.....

Whatever milage engjne i go with i will. Be changing water pump and timeing belt might even change clutch and flywheel depending on condition of original clutch kit

Will also check with engine sellers for service history before i commit to buy