A3 3.2 v6 engine

Vernon de oliveira

Reaction score
hello all

I am a proud owner of an a4 b6 tdi and am looking in the near future of buying an A3 3.2 v6 Quattro

But I have heard of engine cam chain issues and this scares me big time .

How reliable are these engines within regards to cam chain stretching problems ??

Thank you for any advise

Hi mate mine has done 134k now and i have no issues, i do change the oil every 7k and use 5 40w which i hope helps. There is not many on here but one guy had his upper tensioners done and they can be changed with the engine still in the car.

Hi mate mine has done 134k now and i have no issues, i do change the oil every 7k and use 5 40w which i hope helps. There is not many on here but one guy had his upper tensioners done and they can be changed with the engine still in the car.

Many thanks for your advise , I really like the 3.2v6

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: THQuattro
i don't think it's a very common problem at all. if you look at the cars for sale virtually none have had chain replacements. mine's at 93k and going fine, my cousin has had 2 and both were on original chains (not sure on their mileages but they were 04 or 05 engines). most problems are caused by old oil weakening the chain. mine gets an oil change every year even though it only does 4-5k a year.

They were designed for 200k miles in the first place, of course that assumes the engine has been serviced correctly with the correct oil. Guides can wear though and only the top ones can be renewed with engine insitu. Make it a priority to check the service book for good history before you even test drive it and of course use your ears.

Same as the above, change the oil every 6-8000 miles and you won't go far wrong.
Very sweet engine which pulls like a train, without the turbo issues of lag and blowing up.
I'm on a 55 plate with 95000 miles and still grinning like the day I bought it.

Reactions: Vernon de oliveira and Sandra
best engine evar! bullet proof. Yes, it is heavier by a few stones and not as much bHP but the sound yo! When others are worried about cam followers and coke build up, you just keep on drivin! plus for 6 grand you can add the HPA turbo which is the best evar too!

Reactions: Jake 61