buying a 1.8T

jamesturbo

Reaction score
hello every body just looking to buy my first 1.8T what should i look out for when buying ENGINE wise i.e how to tell is the head gasket hsa gone should they go at 78k is the mileage on the car i am looking at it a 1998 1 previous owner few marks on the body nothing major interior is mint full audi service history cam belt/tensioner dont last service 3500 asking price.thanks james

Was the water pump done with the cambelt? If not, then it's likely to break soon, and the cambelt needs to come off to replace it. Good bargaining tool.

If you take the oil filler cap off and it's got anything other than oil residue on
it i.e. mayo type substance, the head gasket will need replacing soon. Look in the coolant expansion tank for oil in the coolant too.

The temp gauge should come up to dead on 90 after about 10 mins driving. If it's slow, or doesn't get to 90, somethin's up. Not neccesarily a big thing, it's just mint.

Other than that, it's a low mileage car for that age, so you've got a few more years of 100k problems!

mayo on the inside of the oil cap may also indicate condensated moisture from frequent short journeys, that in itself might be a reason not to buy it. Lots of cold starts and short town journeys aren't the best way to treat an engine and its transmission.

on the plus side the 1.8T is fairly bullet proof. especially the AGU engine that is in a 1998 one. it's mainly the sensors that pack up and they are cheap and simple to replace, it's just annoying when they go.

At 78k the suspension will be knackered as will the bushes. Worth budgeting for changing them if you want to get the best out of the car.